PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Additional trousers for a three-piece suit?

Options
I would really grateful for any advice on whether it is indeed worth buying a second (or even third) pair of trousers with a new suit.

Despite being in my late 30s, I can't base any decision on any prior experience - I always seem to end up in office jobs that seem to go for smart casual rather than suits and the suits I do have rarely get used.

I am, however, about to change to a job where I will be wearing a suit at least four times a week.

I am going to a friend's wedding, shortly, and going to get a new three-piece that I can use for my new job. Should I go for extra trousers and, if so, how many pairs?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My ex wore a suit to work and always bought a second pair of trousers - they get more wear than the jacket and waistcoat.
  • TiredTrophy
    TiredTrophy Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is great if the trousers are washable.....
  • juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Depending on how much you spend and if you will be wearing the jacket all day or just to and from work?
    I buy a jacket, trousers and a skirt. But only wear the jacket in meetings and to and from work. These seem to wear evenly. I do buy washable trousers and skirts though.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My husband always buys two pairs of trousers with his work suits.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I bought three pairs of trousers for my last work suit and found they were still worn when the jacket was fine.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When my husband was working in an office where suits were required, he always bought an extra pair of trousers.

Now he's retired, of course he lives in jeans and t-shirts. :D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • theEnd
    theEnd Posts: 851 Forumite
    edited 5 October 2017 at 1:06PM
    Options
    I'll raise you one. I always buy 4 trousers per jacket and the trousers always go before the jacket. Jacket spends most of it's life on the back of my office chair.

Also find having 4, makes trips to the dry cleaners less frequent.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Options
    More than 2 has the danger of people thinking you only own one suit though, or that you always wear the same clothes so they won't be clean!
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Definitely buy two pairs of trousers and rotate wearing them. In my experience, quality men's trousers are rarely lined - unlike the women's equivalent - and wear through so much faster as a consequence.

Also, get both pairs of trousers dry-cleaned at the same time as your jacket because if there is any fading or colour change due to the dry-cleaning chemicals, you want all pieces to be affected evenly. Ditto your waistcoats (if you wear them).

Another thought: Slinky mentioned the "one suit" problem. While it's OK to start with one suit if the fabric is "quiet", you will need at least three: two to rotate during the week and one in the drycleaners. It is much easier for men to wear the same suit to work every day but people will notice.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Another thought: Slinky mentioned the "one suit" problem. While it's OK to start with one suit if the fabric is "quiet", you will need at least three: two to rotate during the week and one in the drycleaners. It is much easier for men to wear the same suit to work every day but people will notice.

Not sure of your budget but there are plenty of washable suits available these days which don't all look cheap and nasty.

However many pairs of trousers you decide on, wear them in rotation so they don't look brand new when the jacket has some wear.

Are you sure the waistcoat will get much wear?

Choose a plain, traditional colour like dark grey or navy blue and wear a range of coloured shirts to ring the changes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure