Paying money to wrong account

Options

Comments

• Birdman2015
    Birdman2015 Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    As the sortcode/account wasn't valid it will have gone into a suspense account at the sortcode, so TSB will need to advise the receiving bank who will need to identify the payment and return it to TSB. It's a straightforward admin process and really shouldn't take as long as 5 weeks, but it may depend on whether the receiving bank have got the staff to do the work.

Thanks very much, the lady I spoke to did say it would probably be a lot quicker but 5 weeks is I guess the worst case scenario.

This will teach me not to make payment to new payees on my phone.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Options
    There is just a possibility that the OP didn't make an error. I made a payment and I am 100% confident that I put the correct sort code in. Even at the 'confirm payment' stage it was correct. Once I'd clicked 'OK' it showed me a sort code with the last 2 digits different. I couldn't believe I'd mucked it up and rang the bank immediately. They said not to worry and I later discovered that they were reorganising their sort codes and that was why it was different after I'd finished. I was annoyed that the payment system didn't highlight this whilst I was doing it but relieved to find it had gone to the right place after all.

The OP case also involves another branch of the same bank, so it should be less onerous to resolve. The fact that the recipient claims not to have received it is slightly more suggestive of an error rather than a sort-code reorg though. Also the fact that the OP has not revisited the post since 1/6 may mean it has been resolved - for better or worse.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks very much, the lady I spoke to did say it would probably be a lot quicker but 5 weeks is I guess the worst case scenario.

This will teach me not to make payment to new payees on my phone.

The golden rule is - send £1 first to every new payee, and check it arrived.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    The golden rule is - send £1 first to every new payee, and check it arrived.
    Yes indeed, and make sure that the payee is set up in online banking. Sometimes payments made on mobile phone apps are not saved for subsequent payments.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately sending £1 then closely followed by a larger sum is often pretty much guaranteed to trigger fraud filters at the banks thus getting your internet banking suspended. just saying...
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    Unfortunately sending £1 then closely followed by a larger sum is often pretty much guaranteed to trigger fraud filters at the banks thus getting your internet banking suspended. just saying...
    I always do similar and never had that problem, so not really "pretty much guaranteed" at all.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Absolute rubbish!

Where is your evidence?
  • binaryuniverse
    Options

This has never happened to me and I do it all the time; managing payments to myself between all my own bank accounts.
  • maxximus75
    maxximus75 Posts: 555 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have actually just been through this myself with Metro Bank for over a week because of doing the same triggered a fraud. Online account locked-out, calling them daily, providing statements, being treated what felt like a criminal, just given the "it takes however long it takes, we can't give you a timeframe", and eventually after a week my account is restored.

A very stressful week, let me tell you it was no fun!
  • OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    This has never happened to me and I do it all the time; managing payments to myself between all my own bank accounts.
    Happened to me, but not as bad as online account being locked out. small transfer from first direct to halifax followed by large one. The large transfer went through the next day, as opposed to going through 'instantly' as a faster payment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure