IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Gladstone Solicitors - Will I be taken to court?

Options
I received a parking charge from Parking Control Management for parking in a residential area without a proper permit. That was about 3-4 months ago, I decided to ignore the letters. A few days ago I received a letter from Gladstones Solicitors saying:
"Due to the absence of payment or a valid appeal against the charge, our client has instructed us to recover the total amount due to them as shown above."

The registered keeper of the car is my mother, so the letter was in her name. Shes panicking thinking she may receive a CCJ and certainly doesn't want that!

My question is what is the best option for me in this case? Will Gladstone Solicitors actually take me to court? Shall I continue to ignore the letters or pay the £160 fee they are asking for?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Who does the letter say to pay? If it is Debt Recovery Plus then file. If it is Gladstone's then wait for the Letter before Claim as replying to anything else is a waste of time and shows you to be a "hooked fish"
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I received a parking charge from Parking Control Management for parking in a residential area without a proper permit. That was about 3-4 months ago, I decided to ignore the letters. A few days ago I received a letter from Gladstones Solicitors saying:
    "Due to the absence of payment or a valid appeal against the charge, our client has instructed us to recover the total amount due to them as shown above."

The registered keeper of the car is my mother, so the letter was in her name. Shes panicking thinking she may receive a CCJ and certainly doesn't want that!

My question is what is the best option for me in this case? Will Gladstone Solicitors actually take me to court? Shall I continue to ignore the letters or pay the £160 fee they are asking for?

No doubt a crazy debt collector adding on their own
    little bit of £60 which is not owed. All part of the scam

Was this a case of was their a permit but not displayed or,
    just parking in an area without a permit, where a permit
    is required
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You dont just "receive" a CCJ!
    There needs to be a judgement against you in county court. Its in the name...
    That means - them filing a claim, you failing to defend it and then failing to pay within 1 month of the judgement.
  • dannylondon
    Options
    Who does the letter say to pay? If it is Debt Recovery Plus then file. If it is Gladstone's then wait for the Letter before Claim as replying to anything else is a waste of time and shows you to be a "hooked fish"
    beamerguy wrote: »
    No doubt a crazy debt collector adding on their own
    little bit of £60 which is not owed. All part of the scam

Was this a case of was their a permit but not displayed or,
    just parking in an area without a permit, where a permit
    is required

The letter is asking me to pay Gladstone Solicitors directly. And in this case, I did not have a resident's permit for the area I parked in. It was late night about 1am and it a physical ticket on my car. I didn't expect to get a ticket that late!

If this case does go to court, it will be on my mother's name. She's said she is not willing to go to court, so there is very little chance of us defending this claim if it goes to court.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    She's said she is not willing to go to court

Choose a paper hearing instead so there is no need to attend. This will involve exchanging a few letters with the court/other side but plenty of help here.

If you do lose, it will be for less than they are asking to pay in a claim but the decision on what to do it yours.
    It was late night about 1am and it a physical ticket on my car.

Sounds like a resident trying to get a bit of commission. Have you pics of the signs there?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure