PPI Reclaiming discussion

Options

Comments

• ronin_2
    ronin_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I was featured on the panorama programme in 2003, and was sold insurances on top of insurances by a well known high street bank. given the time span will i still be able to apply.

thanks
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My mother in law was fully registered disabled and living on disability benefit when she took out an HSBC credit card.

She was advised to take out PPI and having accumulated a large (£8k!!!) debt on the card was having trouble making the payments. She enquired about the PPI and was asked to send details about her change of employment circumstances, in other words they wanted to know about how she lost her income and so was no longer able to pay.

However as she never had an employer her circumstances have not changed. As such she's now being told she cannot use the PPI... How can it be right that she's sold a PPI that she can never use or benefit from?

It's not right. It's missold. That's why you should try to reclaim - this is a typical example of the type of rife misselling across the industry. The important thing is not to assume "they must be right"; with PPI selling often it was pure "we must sell sell sell" regardless.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • cidercyclist
    Options
    Here's a slightly different tack!

I took out a loan with MBNA in October 2003 with an insurance advance of £2,715.72 plus a credit charge of £487.08 totalling £3,202.80 on a £15,100 loan.

I decided I was going to cancel this about 18months-2 years ago so rang them to see about doing this. I was categorically told that I even though I was over half way through I wouldn't get anything like that back. I was told that I had basically almost paid for the whole term by this point so it wouldn't be worth cancelling it.

Being an idiot I believed them and have been paying ever since. :doh:

Does this count as mis-selling or were they just plain lying!
  • Debras_Angel
    Options
    Hi,

We took out a credit card with Halifax and were charged for insurance we didn't even know we had signed up to. We called them to cancel and they said they would but never did. We stopped using the card and last week we closed the account and again mentioned about the insurance.

So I've done a letter this afternoon and posted it to them, hopefully we will get the payments back.

Debs
  • debs81
    debs81 Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    how can we prove that it was misold if we are claiming that they said ppi was compulsory. surely its our word against theirs. took out a joint loan from black horse (part of lloyds) in feb 03. we had told them that we had been refused by two other companies due to our not so brilliant credit rating and feel that they have abused this info. they came back saying we can give you a loan with a monthly repayment of £156 over 5yrs. this figure included ppi. were weren't given a option without. we still went ahead with the loan as we had run out of options. will this still be classed as misold or was it my fault that i didn't ask.
  • cidercyclist
    Options
    Here's a slightly different tack!

I took out a loan with MBNA in October 2003 with an insurance advance of £2,715.72 plus a credit charge of £487.08 totalling £3,202.80 on a £15,100 loan.

I decided I was going to cancel this about 18months-2 years ago so rang them to see about doing this. I was categorically told that I even though I was over half way through I wouldn't get anything like that back. I was told that I had basically almost paid for the whole term by this point so it wouldn't be worth cancelling it.

Being an idiot I believed them and have been paying ever since. :doh:

Does this count as mis-selling or were they just plain lying!

The payment was stated as 60 months at £350.18, just done a bit more calculating and from teh figures shown it appears that of this I am paying £296.80/mth for my loan (£17,808.00 incl interest) and £53.38/mth for the PPI. There is however nothing on the MBNA paperwork that states this breakdown.

Is it a single premium or a monthly premium? :confused:

I think I might try it anyway with a carefully reworded sample letter.
  • WestHam34
    Options
    How can I get my old/new loan details? And also how far back can I reclaim for as I have had several loans over the years and I haven't kept my details.

Many Thanks
  • Karnam
    Karnam Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    Options
    im claiming from Egg for a credit card on which i had personal payment protection. i was a student and unemployed at the time that i applied for my CC and was sold PPI. i doubt its that much (im pretty certain i cancelled it after a year or two) but its still v wrong, cause i know that i was unemployed and i was a student.
    :A Boots Tart :A
  • cidercyclist
    Options
    Just totted it all up and I am claiming £2,421.32 from MBNA in a letter this afternoon!
  • PinkBanana_2
    Options
    After reading this I have just tried to cancel my PPI on my existing loan with Yorkshire Bank (am i allowed to name them, this is my very first post)

They told me it isn't possible but couldn't tell me why. They just said I had been given a 30 day cooling off period. I said I knew that but I wanted to cancel it now. They said I couldn't I would have to settle the loan and take out an existing one.

To settle would be £5215 which would include £531 rebate on the insurance. To continue paying until the end of the loan would cost me £4592.97.

£622.03 cancel this insurance. That can't be right can it?

PinkBanana
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport