Laminate flooring problem in bathroom ( yes I know..)

Options
Howdy !
Purchased my flat last year , ground floor Victorian conversion.
Found a builder ( nice guy ,and far better than the others I interviewed for a new bathroom and kitchen).
The builder put a new bathroom in , which I am pleased with overall.
I did ask about laminate flooring in a bathroom ,whether you can get waterproof etc. I was assured that I could do,and was advised to get the more expensive one . Fair enough, it was within budget for the whole bathroom..

However, I have had a small leak for approx 2 weeks ,in the usual place I'd expect by the toilet bowl/ cupboard. I thought it was just the visible water, but unfortunately I noticed water in the slats.
This tells me that there is water under the flooring .

I managed to get the plumber back to investigate . No charge,as I was one of his better customers. Fair enough.
He fixed the leak . He decided not to take the flooring up , as it would be nigh on impossible to put back .
Now ,what I did do over the last 48 hours was put my dehumidifier in there. He thinks I should leave it in there for the next 2 weeks and is fairly optimistic about the flooring drying out .
He did say though, that there is good ventilation on the floor underneath and if I had a concrete floor underneath then he would have taken the laminate up.

So I'm just wondering : have I made a mistake ,and should just put it down to experience ,bite the bullet and get vinyl/ Lino instead?
The flooring is rising a little in places also:eek:
Will the dehumidifier work?
The bathroom size : 9'3"x 6'8"

One thing I will say about the builder: he got me a contact that got my whole flat carpeted( vinyl in kitchen) for half the price of carpetright. Not difficult I know, but I had an order placed with them and cancelled .

Please advise . :o

Comments

• societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 October 2018 at 9:22PM
    Options
    Generally speaking, water and laminate don't mix well, and if it's "rising a little in places" it doesn't sound good.
    Suppose you can leave it dry out and see, but if it's a wooden floor underneath, I'd be worried what's happening to that.

Just my thoughts.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks for that s c :)
    I have a few thoughts about whether to just get vinyl/ Lino instead .
    Was even thinking if that would go over the laminate flooring .
    I'll sleep on it ..
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for that s c :)
    I have a few thoughts about whether to just get vinyl/ Lino instead .
    Was even thinking if that would go over the laminate flooring .
    I'll sleep on it ..
    Having already put the laminate down, and with the possibility of leaking plumbing, I think I'd be inclined to leave things as they are and consider vinyl/lino at a later date.

You don't really want to put another new floorcovering down and then discover that needs to be lifted because another plumbing issue crops up.

(And sleeping on laminate flooring isn't a good idea... it is usually hard and cold ;))
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would leave the dehumidifier running in there for more than the two weeks - it's a bathroom after all and you'll be 'recharging' the room with moisture each time you use it. It'll take ages for the moisture to be drawn out of the flooring.

I'd leave it running there for at least a month. It won't be too expensive, considering the alternative cost of replacing the whole floor.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great advice :)
    This morning , dare I say things look ...improved.
    I guess/ and am hoping that , having a bathroom with no windows ( but a good extractor fan) might actually work n my favour .
    Mr. Builder did say that the bathroom is warm etc and a good thing.

Each penny , it's true about sleeping on laminate. I imagine I'd have rectangular marks all over me once I wake up:rotfl:

Last night I was looking at photos I took ,when the bathroom was before / during ,and after the transformation . I'll have a chat with mr.builder when I see him next and discuss what is actually underneath . There is the underlay of course, but it will be good to know exactly what else for reassurance etc.
    Thanks
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thought I'd give a little update .
    The leak hasn't come back after being fixed by Mr.Builder.
    I still have the dehumidifier in there . The flooring is still slightly raised in places . One thing though that is on the back of my mind..would there be a damp smell ? There isn't at the moment , and the dehumidifier seeems to be doing its job . It seems to get full every 2-2and a half days .
    I will give the builder a call next week and will ask him to have a look
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Well, Mr,Builder has just been . He noticed a difference where everything dried out . He decided that it looks a lot better ,and that I've had a lucky escape . He said that by the. summer in the heat it should be back to normal . No work had to be done . Relieved .
    If anything changes, I can call him ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport