Airbricks

Options

Comments

• r2015
    r2015 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Do other people smell the smell or is it just you?
    over 73 but not over the hill.
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Actually - googling did bring up that talc smell has that as one possible explanation.

I can recall that the week I moved in (whilst friend that was helping me was still here) there was a very distinct noise that my friend took as being the last occupant "announcing their presence". I just turned round and said "This is MY home now - so can you go please?" and there hasn't been anything in the years since.

This may possibly be something other people wouldnt/dont register. A lot of other people here are going to be used to concrete block houses with concrete floors. I'm used to brick walls and wood floors - and that is how I think houses should be personally

You telling her & her listening (& obeying) could be 2 different things.

As to the brick construction - surely it was plastered inside and not bare walls?
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Personally I have always spoken kindly to previous occupants and told them they are welcome to stay.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Witless wrote: »

Actually, from memory, you've had a few problems with that house IIRC - that could be the cause.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 15 October 2018 at 7:27PM
    Options
    I also get a smell like fresh plaster when I hang my washing inside the two rooms that were renovated and plastered 2 years ago. I assume its just the walls absorbing some of the moisture of the clothes?

I do have a bit of a problem in that respect - ie re washing. In my last house (a Victorian terrace) - I put my clotheshorse in the bathroom and hung sheets over the banisters to air.

In this house - I can't use the banisters (it's a bungalow), can't use the bathroom (it's too small), can't use the utility room (there isn't one), can't use the conservatory (there isn't one) etc - you get the picture.

My washing machine (which is only a washer - but does wring washing out pretty darn dry) means I still need to use my clothes horse. So that clotheshorse has been "on its travels" round the house ever since I moved here - as I try to find the least obtrusive place to put it. It's landed up being my study - though actually the problem is least noticeable in the study (may or may not be coincidental that my study is the warmest place in the house). It's most noticeable in my sitting room actually.

I had the entire house replastered soon after buying it - including putting up fake ceilings and skim plastering them (to hide the anaglypta wallpaper on the ceilings and rip down the cornices).

I estimate it's now been around 4 years or so since the replastering was finished.
    Options
    r2015 wrote: »
    Do other people smell the smell or is it just you?

No-one has ever commented on it.

Though, coincidentally, I've never noticed it when anyone else has been here.
    edited 15 October 2018 at 7:30PM
    Options
    Witless wrote: »

As to the brick construction - surely it was plastered inside and not bare walls?

Plaster inside as per usual - in both houses.

I don't get the impression of the last owner of this house as being the sort of person that would stick around where they aren't wanted.

I had the feeling she wanted me to know what next door neighbour is really like (was like - as she's now moved). The nfh assured me she and last owner of my house were about as "thick as thieves" together. Well - I'm tapped into the local grapevine rather better than that - and the "grapevine" has told me that last owner of my house couldn't stand nfh next door.

I have the feeling that Last Owner wanted me to know the truth on that and re stuff to do with the house that nfh was assuring me was one way - but I could see that it's actually different to what nfh said.

So I have a bit of a feeling last owner was generally a fairly harmless sort of person/who just didnt have it in her to stand up to nfh next door.

Errrm....and if we're talking in New Age/more esoteric terms - my garden boundaries are surrounded by protective "white light" anyway. It was done to keep the neighbours out (as they were very intrusive to start with....) - but I guess would work against all intruders of any description LOL.

On a different tack - I've wondered about the 2 chimney breasts in this house - but think I'd notice the walls by them being damp and there isn't any damp. I made sure that both (former) chimneys were suitably ventilated and the chimneypots suitably capped off back when I first came here - so they wouldnt create any problems for me.
    edited 15 October 2018 at 7:17PM
    Options
    Personally I have always spoken kindly to previous occupants and told them they are welcome to stay.

Each to their own on that one Hester...

I was quite "factual" in requesting that it be respected that it's my home now and I prefer to choose my own visitors LOL.

Personally - I prefer my privacy.

So - even if my own mother turns up visiting me after her demise - she'll be asked how she is/told she can "visit" if there's something particular she wants to talk to me about and requested to respect my privacy generally. I've requested her to ensure she comes and "meets" me when it's "My Time to Go" - but I think she's got the general idea I like my privacy as much as she does.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Minerals such as kaolinite can be found on a surface when it has been oxidised. The composition of kaolinite is aluminium silicate. Talc is not unknown to contain aluminium silicate. That may be a tedious link but when I moved into our home we had rising damp that needed damp proofing. There was a white powder residue on the wall that could be removed by touching it. The proofers told me it's not uncommon to smell damp before you see it but in this instance it was seen before any smell was present.

If it is this, replastering a wall won't prevent it. Maybe run over your walls with a moisture and damp meter. They can be hired for a day from tool hire places for about £20.

Like I say my links and my basic knowledge might be tedious but common sense says to me that it's most probably a sensible line of thought.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you been up into the loft to check for leaks, mitstm?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure