E-bay/Adyen scam

Options
I have recently been scammed whilst trying to buy a classic car advertised on e-bay. I was persuaded to use the e-bay/Adyen escrow system, but unfortunately the link I used was a fake and the money I thought I was depositing in an Adyen account was going into the fraudsters account. Adyen are aware of this phishing of their accounts but you have to google 'Adyen and phishing' to find this out. The advert on e-bay has been reported several times but still appears periodically.

Comments

• bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    If you're not asking a question this belongs on the "Praise, Vents & Warnings" board but really, it's pretty pointless as these scams are well known and avoided by the vast majority of people.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Assuming this was a UK sale then AYden has not even been launched yet in the U.K.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Ted_Tracey
    Options
    I am led to believe that Ebay are using Adyen as an alternative to PayPal and intend for Adyen to be their preferred payment option in future.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ted_Tracey wrote: »
    I am led to believe that Ebay are using Adyen as an alternative to PayPal and intend for Adyen to be their preferred payment option in future.

To be fair, if you used a bad link it could have been a bad link to anything.....always always make sure you are on the correct site before parting with personal info or financial details.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 August 2019 at 7:26PM
    Options

In the US it has been launched, but late, and not available to every seller. It has not been launched in the U.K yet.

It looks like it is to start being rolled out sometime in 2020

https://tamebay.com/2019/01/2019-the-year-payments-on-ebay-will-really-start-to-change.html
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I have recently been scammed whilst trying to buy a classic car advertised on e-bay. I was persuaded to use the e-bay/Adyen escrow system, but unfortunately the link I used was a fake and the money I thought I was depositing in an Adyen account was going into the fraudsters account. Adyen are aware of this phishing of their accounts but you have to google 'Adyen and phishing' to find this out. The advert on e-bay has been reported several times but still appears periodically.

We have a classic car so often look at what's for sale on eBay. These scams are easy to spot because the prices are so cheap.

Surely you realised there was something unusual about the price? The ad is usually a TR6 in Scotland thats about £10k under priced.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure