expenses when in IPA

Options
Hi all,

just quick one: when you have IPA in place, and let’s say yours food allowance was £50 but you ate only 2 days per week /spend week on parents ant ate there, it is allowed to spend this money for shoes?:)
just very general question, about allowed expenses and if they must to be used for exact things.

Thank you

Comments

• wildheart83
    Options
    Yes it's allowed. The allowances are for budgeting purposes, you're not tied to them. If you want to starve yourself (not advised!) and buy shoes you're not going to get in trouble from the OR.

If you're buying Jimmy Choos on a regular basis however, they might question it.
    Feb 2024:
    CC1 6537.66
    CC2 7804.45
    CC3 4221.17
    CC4 2053.68
    CC5 989.30
    Loan 1 3686.44
    Loan 2 5275.22

Total £30,567.92
  • Singlemumm
    Options
    so really they cannot say- oh, seems you spend only £100 per month in lidl rather than £300, that’s why we will reduce yours allowance and will ask to pay more on IPA, that’s correct?
    Thank you very much
  • wildheart83
    Options
    They certainly didn't question any of my spending against the allowances set. How can they prove how much you actually spend on groceries anyway?
    If you lift money out the cashpoint, how do you prove where it went? I smoked at the time, and the cost of my cigarettes came out my allowances rather than having a separate allowance for smoking.

I know it's hard, but try not to overthink so much - I know you've had a tough time of it lately with your OR.

And if you need new shoes, or clothes or whatever, then you need them. As I say if you're spending hundreds on designer gear then it's different but I wouldn't worry about it.
    Feb 2024:
    CC1 6537.66
    CC2 7804.45
    CC3 4221.17
    CC4 2053.68
    CC5 989.30
    Loan 1 3686.44
    Loan 2 5275.22

Total £30,567.92
  • Singlemumm
    Options
    Thank you.
    just last month I have mum on me there, she came from abroad to stay while we sorting her separation with father, she left the job so extra expenses on me. not that I complain just money now spending on different things rather than on exact allowances, don’t want them to question why I bought flight ticket ( it was for mum).
    Same money just have been spent differently
  • Singlemumm
    Options
    don’t wanna start new tread really:
    it is allowed to drive partner car and pay your share on insurance?
    I do know they using guidelines for everything, that’s fine, but thinking if there any districts such a no driving when under IPA as you cannot afford it?

Thank you
  • bradders1983
    Options
    You are overthinking it again. If you can afford to drive on the money you have, do it. If you cant, then dont.
  • Singlemumm
    Options
    I’m sorry if I annoying someone:/
    I’m just very nervous how within eye blink yours allowances that have been ok 2 years ago can be lowered etc, and when your circumstances changes /you have more expenses, you getting to have higher IPA.
    once you providing higher /new expenses they deducting form allowances that have been agreed already earlier.
    I think 2 y ago I have missed some points as I really wasn’t aware in years time you will need less money for same things
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wasnt asked at all if my circumstances had changed within the 3 years. If you really feel you dont have enough money then the onus is on you to get them to reassess.
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Singlemumm wrote: »
    don’t wanna start new tread really:
    it is allowed to drive partner car and pay your share on insurance?
    I do know they using guidelines for everything, that’s fine, but thinking if there any districts such a no driving when under IPA as you cannot afford it?

Thank you

Yes - you can contribute all reasonable costs towards the use of a vehicle if you need access to a car.
    No - there is no restriction on you having use of a vehicle if you need the use of one.
    The key here is 'need' If you need to get to work/drop kids off at school/run elderly parents to the shops etc that's fine. However, if you and the kids live within a short walk of the school, shops and work - you may have to justify the costs.
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes - you can contribute all reasonable costs towards the use of a vehicle if you need access to a car.
    No - there is no restriction on you having use of a vehicle if you need the use of one.
    The key here is 'need' If you need to get to work/drop kids off at school/run elderly parents to the shops etc that's fine. However, if you and the kids live within a short walk of the school, shops and work - you may have to justify the costs.
    Well, surely that depends if you actually tell the OR you are doing this, if you are just using the money you have already been allocated then its no issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure