Inheritance from the USA

Options
Hi,
I have inherited an IRA (Individual Retirement Plan) from a relative in the US which will pay a lump sum to me as a beneficiary. I am attempting to understand the US Tax rules and regulations and whilst I believe I am almost there with the form and I'm aware that I need to complete W-8BEN, it is asking for a ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number). If I'm correct, if I don't submit the W-8BEN with this number then I will be subject to a 30% tax with-holding of the monies. However, from investigations, the UK are part of a Treaty with the US whereby 0% tax is payable. So,what I'm asking is a) has anyone inherited monies from the US? b) Submitted a W-8BEN? c) Submitted the form without a ITIN? d) Or d) Requested a ITIN? From my research to obtain a ITIN I would need to send my original passport to the US for validation which is something I am not prepared to do as may not have this returned for many weeks. Any help or advice would be gratefully received, please.

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    IIRC last one I filled in for share stuff I used my NINO(National insurance No.)
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    IIRC last one I filled in for share stuff I used my NINO(National insurance No.)

I've always left mine blank.
    With shares, the W8-BEN is all about dividend payments not the actual amounts. SO i can get all the money out its just the dividends i lose 30% of. Hopefully that is the case for the OP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure