Installing a Washing Machine?

Options
Adly812
Adly812 Posts: 558 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I'm buying a new washing machine. The old one will be removed prior to the new ones arrival. It's freestanding with the pipes etc in the place to the refit the new one... My query is- how hard is it to do yourself? I'm a single homeowner, pretty handy but not entirely confident in my workmanship. But most company's charge to install eg currys £25.. Is it hard? Can I do it myself or do I need a professional?

Comments

• keithdc
    keithdc Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Very easy.

Remove the transport bolts
    Attach water hose (s)
    Do drainage hose
    Plug in
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 May 2017 at 9:20AM
    Options
    It's usually just a matter of connecting one hose to the washing machine tap, which needs to be tight, but not over-tight, then checking it's not leaking before moving the machine back and checking again, if possible, that nothing's trapped.

Turn the tap on, of course, once connected, add the drain hose and plug it in before moving the machine, once you know there's no water splashing about.

There must be a UK You Tube video.

EDIT: Transport bolts as above, forgot those, as my machine is 20yrs old soon and its been around.

https://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/how-to-install-washing-machine/
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It will take longer to remove the transport bolts then do all the rest :)

Takes about 10mins all in. No need for me to describe as been done above by both posters!

Good luck and save that £25
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • wookie008
    wookie008 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    This connection charge is the biggest rip off ever. I did it myself recently and would never profess to be very good at DIY. Take out the transit bolts at the back connect the hot water pipe, connect the waste pipe (just make sure you read how to do this, as you have to make sure it's a certain height - I'd suggest take a pic of your current set up), and then you plug it in. That easy.

The biggest issue you might have is getting it in the kitchen, as there's a good chance they'll just dump it in your hallway.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This connection charge is the biggest rip off ever. I did it myself recently and would never profess to be very good at DIY. Take out the transit bolts at the back connect the hot water pipe, connect the waste pipe (just make sure you read how to do this, as you have to make sure it's a certain height - I'd suggest take a pic of your current set up), and then you plug it in. That easy.

The biggest issue you might have is getting it in the kitchen, as there's a good chance they'll just dump it in your hallway.
    They are going to be there all day trying to figure that one out :o
  • wookie008
    wookie008 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    They are going to be there all day trying to figure that one out :o

Oops I obviously meant cold water pipe...
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If you can remove the old one......

the biggest issue will be the depth have you checked/compared to the current one?
    Some are touch deeper in some bits at the back and depending exactly where your current pipes are might not push right in the same.

If using the same inlet water hose check the washer, if you can get the old one off easily use the new one making sure the washers are in place.
  • Adly812
    Adly812 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'll save myself £25 and YouTube it!!! How hard can it be right? I've done most things myself around the house since I was 19years old, not that I'm a girl matters but sometimes I only just lack the power and patience.. so this can't be that hard.. Thank you
  • breaking_free
    breaking_free Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Quick tip: ask them to remove the transport bolts for you as you may not have the correct tool. The rest of the installation is straightforward thanks to Youtube.
    "The problem with Internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And don't forget to level it by adjusting the feet.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure