Best man speech by a couple

Options
Hi
My wife and I have been asked to be the 'best man' at my best friends wedding. I've search the internet for example of this but haven't been able to find anything.
A couple must have been asked to give the best mans speech before!
Has anyone got any experience of how to make this work best or can point us to any videos or tips?
TIA
Adrian and Elena

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I haven't heard of that but why not? I think 2 best men is a little more usual so searching for that might help.

Also, it's not just the speech but the other duties. Good luck :)
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    I’ve been to plenty f weddings where two people make a speech together. Mostly they split the lines, one they did it as a quiz type thing, that fell a bit flat though.
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    As above. I have been to lots of weddings where there were two best men. They ‘performed ‘ their speech like a double act. Either share one speech or have your own separate ones.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    suejb2 wrote: »
    As above. I have been to lots of weddings where there were two best men. They ‘performed ‘ their speech like a double act. Either share one speech or have your own separate ones.

It's likely that OP will know stories about his friend from way back whereas his wife will have more recent information. They could split things that way.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Adrian6017 wrote: »
    Hi
    My wife and I have been asked to be the 'best man' at my best friends wedding. I've search the internet for example of this but haven't been able to find anything.
    A couple must have been asked to give the best mans speech before!
    Has anyone got any experience of how to make this work best or can point us to any videos or tips?
    TIA
    Adrian and Elena

My advice would be to write your speech before you start looking up examples on the internet. It's very easy to end up with a formulaic speech that everyone has heard before.
  • GreenQueen
    Options
    What about a "chatshow" formula, with your wife asking questions about your earlier life as a best friend e.g."what was Fred like when you were at Primary school together?" cue hilarious and embarrassing story!
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My husband had three best men (he couldn't decide). One wrote - and gave - the speech, and the other two contributed a paragraph each.
  • OldMusicGuy
    Options
    Just been to a wedding where everybody gave a speech. Father of the bride, father of the groom, groom, bride, the three best men and the two bridesmaids and bridesman (yes really). Seems like anything goes these days...

The best men and bridesmaids/bridesman speech were done by them all taking turns. It was a bit overlong because everyone felt they ought to tell some funny anecdotes. So my advice is to write a single speech of normal length and then work out a way that both of you can give it rather than each of you write something and try to "add it together".
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    Just been to a wedding where everybody gave a speech. Father of the bride, father of the groom, groom, bride, the three best men and the two bridesmaids and bridesman (yes really). Seems like anything goes these days...

The best men and bridesmaids/bridesman speech were done by them all taking turns. It was a bit overlong because everyone felt they ought to tell some funny anecdotes. So my advice is to write a single speech of normal length and then work out a way that both of you can give it rather than each of you write something and try to "add it together".

Yes, always leave them wanting more is a good rule of thumb!

I think it’s nice that the women involved are speaking more these days, but short and sweet is still the way to go!
  • shiny76
    shiny76 Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 September 2019 at 2:29PM
    Options
    You could always try telling the usual sort of 'growing up together' speech where one phrases things for a 'polite' audience. Then the other re-phrases to tell it how it is.

A bit like the "what these phrases really mean" web pages: https://www.news.com.au/technology/online/social/email-etiquette-exposed-what-those-phrases-really-mean/news-story/d97fb274e3ea22acafafce07e0137fd6

e.g.
    "Mark is always the life and soul of the party. He's always the last off the dance floor"

"Mark is a complete lightweight, gets drunk on half a shandy. He's normally last off the dance floor as he's usually passed out in the corner"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure