April E.ON bill with tariff price rises

Options
paul_h
paul_h Posts: 1,072 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
edited 25 April 2018 at 12:27PM in Energy
I've just had my E.on electricity bill, and now I'm confused.

I've followed the story regarding the 'backdoor' price hikes implemented by E.on with the withdrawal of certain discounts that were available, a bit sneaky but I wasn't too concerned as I'm only single fuel anyway and only get the DD discount on the standing charge (£35 inc. VAT) and the separately listed paperless discount (£5 inc. VAT).

However, I received my bill today. I swapped from a 1 year fixed v8 to EnergyPlan Assist tariff on 31st March, but my bill shows a second set of tariff changes on 19th April, including increases in unit price and standing charge.

Day rate has changed from 13.16p to 14.14p (+7.44%)
Night rate has changed from 6.96p to 7.53p (+8.2%)
Standing charge has changed from 15.64p to 30.51p (+95%!)

All above plus VAT

The increase in the standing charge works out at £57 inc. VAT per annum, not £35.

Have I missed something? I thought E.ON said the unit prices weren't changing? Are they not supposed to tell you when they increase the tariff prices?

Comments

• paul_h
    Options
    Just a quick update to this, I think I have found the prices that I am now paying - on the Prepayment tariff.

However, my bill still says I'm on EnergyPlan Assist, and paying by fixed monthly DD.

What is going on?
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi paul_h, I'm so sorry you've been confused by this.

You're right, there have been some changes to this tariff and others by making changes to the discounts.

We've still kept the unit prices lower than the E.ON Energy Plan, but as you know the discount for payment by Monthly Direct Debit has been removed from the EnergyPlan Assist.

This is taken from one of our [FONT=&quot]briefs[/FONT] so it's clear, about the [FONT=&quot]E.ON EnergyPlan Assist tariff.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Prices will rise to the level of the April prepayment price cap. [/FONT]Customers paying by a Monthly Direct Debit will no longer receive a reduction in their standing charge, so all customers on this tariff will receive the same prices. These increases will take effect from 19 April.

Customers on fixed tariffs won't see any changes until the end of their term.

So this appears to be the reason and it sounds like you didn't have a letter/email.

Would you like me to check your [FONT=&quot]account[/FONT] for you, then I can see if anything was sent out?

As a side note for now, do have a look at your online account, is there a better tariff for you? Speak to our tariff guys on the phone and let us help you and don't forget to pop your details in kWh on to a [FONT=&quot]comparison [/FONT]site to check everyone out.

Thank you

Helena

Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • paul_h
    edited 25 April 2018 at 3:04PM
    Options
    I have had no notification of this by letter or email, and I can't PM you my account details as it says you don't accept messages. I'm not putting account details on an open forum.

So are you saying that those on EnergyPlan Assist now have to pay the same as those on Prepayment meters?

That's not what your website says here

https://www.eonenergy.com/About-eon/how-we-service-our-customers/Standards-of-Service/our-product-prices

Please check the EnergyPlan Assist prices. According to the above, EnergyPlan Assist prices are effective from 02/02/2018, Prepayment prices changed this month, effective 01/04/2018.
    Options
    paul_h wrote: »
    I have had no notification of this, and I can't PM you my account details.

So are you saying that those on EnergyPlan Assist now have to pay the same as those on Prepayment meters?

That's not what your website says here

https://www.eonenergy.com/About-eon/how-we-service-our-customers/Standards-of-Service/our-product-prices

Please check the EnergyPlan Assist prices. According to the above, EnergyPlan Assist prices are effective from 02/01/2018, Prepayment prices changed this month, effective 01/04/2018.

Hiya,

Not the same as pre-payment, [FONT=&quot]the prices were increased to be in line with Ofgem’s PP Price Cap.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]All eligible customers will automatically move to EnergyPlan Assist on Friday 2 February. We’ll be writing to these customers at the beginning of March, notifying them of the changes to their prices. Online customers will be able to see their new prices before this.[/FONT]

It appears you wen't on the tariff at this date and that appears to be the reason you won't have had a letter.

Thank you

Helena
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • paul_h
    edited 25 April 2018 at 6:33PM
    Options
    I received a letter from you dated 9th Feb, telling me I would move from Fixed v8 to EnergyPlan Assist on 31st March, and listing the prices of the new tariff. Now, after less than three weeks, I find that the tariff has increased, without any warning.
    Not the same as pre-payment, the prices were increased to be in line with Ofgem!!!8217;s PP Price Cap.

I'm still trying to understand this. Are you saying that EnergyPlan Assist prices are not the same as prepayment, or that they now are?

Your website says not, but my prices have increased to exactly the level of the new prepayment tariff. The EnergyPlan Assist prices on your website are still the same as the prices I was promised in the letter I received.

Here's the link to current prices again

I think I understand what's happened here, but the lack of communication and the inaccurate information on the website is disappointing. E.ON knew they were putting me on this tariff after my Fixed v8, but neglected to then tell me that the price would be going up three weeks later.

As an aside, there's something wrong when a company publicly says they are not raising unit prices, but at the same time can raise the unit price on a so-called social tariff by 8%, and nearly double the standing charge. It doesn't seem very fair.
    Options
    paul_h wrote: »
    I received a letter from you dated 9th Feb, telling me I would move from Fixed v8 to EnergyPlan Assist on 31st March, and listing the prices of the new tariff. Now, after less than three weeks, I find that the tariff has increased, without any warning.

I'm still trying to understand this. Are you saying that EnergyPlan Assist prices are not the same as prepayment, or that they now are?

Your website says not, but my prices have increased to exactly the level of the new prepayment tariff. The EnergyPlan Assist prices on your website are still the same as the prices I was promised in the letter I received.

Here's the link to current prices again

I think I understand what's happened here, but the lack of communication and the inaccurate information on the website is disappointing. E.ON knew they were putting me on this tariff after my Fixed v8, but neglected to then tell me that the price would be going up three weeks later.

As an aside, there's something wrong when a company publicly says they are not raising unit prices, but at the same time can raise the unit price on a so-called social tariff by 8%, and nearly double the standing charge. It doesn't seem very fair.

Morning paul_h,

The [FONT=&quot]prices were increased to be in line with Ofgem’s PP Price Cap. So not all a[FONT=&quot]reas will be [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]exactly[/FONT] the same but some will, it sounds like you[FONT=&quot]rs[/FONT] are.

[FONT=&quot]I fully understand what you're saying and can see that this [FONT=&quot]can be confusing. I think the dates your tariff changed doesn't help as you didn't get the letter.

[FONT=&quot]The part about not raising unit prices was [FONT=&quot]to do with the removal of the reduction [FONT=&quot]in[/FONT] standing charge when paying by [FONT=&quot]Monthly Direct Debit.

[FONT=&quot]I get yo[FONT=&quot]ur point though and I really would suggest checking that you're on the best tariff for you on our website and a comparison site.

[FONT=&quot]Thanks

[FONT=&quot]Hel[FONT=&quot]ena[/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure