PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Land purchase

Options
There is a piece of landlocked garden, which has a "no building" covenant on it behind my house. I was thinking of buying the strip immediately behind my garden. However, I don't know the value of such a piece of land, which would still leave the house next door with a very big garden, and where would I go to find out. Advice please would be much appreciated.

Comments

• BrixMorta
    Options
    Landlocked land on the whole, is effectively worthless; after all, who on earth would be interested, especially if it’s fairly small.

However, the land would have some value to the neighbouring/adjoining properties as it may well enhance the value of their property and indeed the enjoyment they get from it.

As a rule the legal formalities involved in the transfer will probably cost you about £350 plus vat and land registry fee. Given that the current owner will also have the hassle factor and a legal bill to pay if they sell it, it wont be worth their while selling for anything less than £1,500 no matter how small the plot.

The actual value will largely depend on the astuteness of the seller and on how desperate the buyer.

If the plot is say 20ft deep by 50ft wide and directly at the rear of your garden, then it could be anything from £1,500 to £5,000. If the plot significantly enhances a property because it may be at the side allowing extension or rear access or space for a garage etc, then the value could indeed go much higher, indeed directly in proportion to the enhancement in value it would bring.
  • Robert_Sterling_3
    Options
    Isn't building an extension a breech of the no building covenant.
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • starlight_3
    Options
    No - loads of garden - so OK if within limits and of course planning permission. This land is inaccessible to vehicular traffic (you would have to knock one of the houses down). Not only that it looks as though my house once owned this piece of garden because the old fence lines are evident. I understand from my neighbours that bits of garden have been bought and sold over the last sixty years. It is not a nice flat piece of garden, it involves a hillside and ancient sandstone and brick retaining walls - so not to be taken lightly.
  • Pegleg2001
    Options
    Assuming no one has registered it with the Land Registry, you should reclaim it as yours based on it looking like yours originally.

Put up fencing to obviously designate it as your garden. Look after it for 12 years as your own and you can claim it and register it - all free of charge. Search for 'squatter rights' or 'bona vacantia' in Google for further reading.

I have a friend who did precisely this without problems. He simply annexed a parcel of land onto his garden. No one objected and it was his after the 12 years.
    The Pegster

Quote-of-the-day: "A fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure