Bulb taking over supply without any authorisation to do so

Options
Perhaps forumers can confirm that the following chain of events is permissible - or am I being fed a load of tosh.

Someone in the same apartment block as ours applies to change supplier to Bulb but inputs the wrong address - ours!

We only find out about this because, co-incidentally, we had also applied to change our supply from npower to edf, who told us they could not take the transfer because Bulb were already doing so!!

Bulb's application had somehow leap-frogged our own on npower's database.

Phonecall to Bulb where they promised to cancel the contract and confirmed as done whilst on the call, acknowledging that the name of the transferee was different.

Bulb admitted that they do not credit check new customers (which I find incomprehensible) which would have stopped the mis-application in its tracks.

Now, a day before the date Bulb proposed to transfer the account over, I find they have not cancelled the agreement after all and supply will transfer tomorrow. Only then can the "erroneous transfer" be reversed, which will take a further 20 days to come into effect.

Which takes us back to square one.

There seems to be almost universal praise for Bulb on the forum but in my experience they are a bunch of incompetents with clueless CSAs and rubbish systems.
Ethical moneysaver

Comments

• Flt._Lt._Biggles
    Flt._Lt._Biggles Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 April 2018 at 1:44PM
    Options
    Perhaps forumers can confirm that the following chain of events is permissible - or am I being fed a load of tosh.

Someone in the same apartment block as ours applies to change supplier to Bulb but inputs the wrong address - ours!

We only find out about this because, co-incidentally, we had also applied to change our supply from npower to edf, who told us they could not take the transfer because Bulb were already doing so!!

Bulb's application had somehow leap-frogged our own on npower's database.

Phonecall to Bulb where they promised to cancel the contract and confirmed as done whilst on the call, acknowledging that the name of the transferee was different.

Bulb admitted that they do not credit check new customers (which I find incomprehensible) which would have stopped the mis-application in its tracks.

Now, a day before the date Bulb proposed to transfer the account over, I find they have not cancelled the agreement after all and supply will transfer tomorrow. Only then can the "erroneous transfer" be reversed, which will take a further 20 days to come into effect.

Which takes us back to square one.

There seems to be almost universal praise for Bulb on the forum but in my experience they are a bunch of incompetents with clueless CSAs and rubbish systems.

Contact nPower.
    If you had done that from the outset, they could have prevented the switch to Bulb occurring. ... and perhaps you'd be on that EDF tariff you wanted by now :)
    Now you will have to wait until nPower confirms they are your supplier again, before you will be able to then ask EDF to try again to accept you as their customer. Hopefully the EDF tariff you wanted will still be available at that time.

... better still, leave it with Bulb and allow your neighbour to start paying for all your energy; they would have provided their bank details to allow them to pay by DD when they applied to Bulb :money:
    I'm not sure why you find that incomprehensible; there are many suppliers that do not credit check new customers if they are switching an existing credit meter

According to Bulb's terms
    3.19 If you're a domestic customer, we may do checks with a credit reporting agency to ensure you are able to pay your energy bills. We will always ask your permission before doing this. If you're a business customer, we will always do checks with a credit reporting agency to ensure you are able to pay your energy bills.
    But then you probably already realised that, calling Bulb a "a bunch of incompetents with clueless CSAs " :cool:

I don't follow how a credit check " would have stopped the mis-application in its tracks"
    The credit check would be made against an applicant (i.e. the person applying for a credit account), not the supply address.
  • realaledrinker
    realaledrinker Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for replying.. I am going to let things play out then send in a stiff complaint.

Not sure how I could be familiar with Bulbs t&cs when I have no interest in being a customer.

The credit check would have thrown up a discrepancy between the applicant name and the incorrect address.
    Ethical moneysaver
  • merchcon55
    merchcon55 Posts: 302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pretty sure Bulb have no early exit fees. Once your transfer to Bulb is complete, why not just make a new transfer to EDF or whoever else you would like.

Perhaps others on forum can confirm, but I think you are permitted to change suppliers after 28 days.
  • realaledrinker
    realaledrinker Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    merchcon55 wrote: »
    Pretty sure Bulb have no early exit fees. Once your transfer to Bulb is complete, why not just make a new transfer to EDF or whoever else you would like.

Perhaps others on forum can confirm, but I think you are permitted to change suppliers after 28 days.

They have 'taken over' our meter as I understand it but have someone else's account details attached to it. So other things being equal this other party would eventually cotton on when their bank gets debited by both Bulb for our usage and their old supplier, who is oblivious to all this, for their own usage .
    Ethical moneysaver
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    There is one consolation at least you have "free" electricity for at least 20 days. The person paying for your usage may not be so happy though.

It's odd that this other person hasn't realised their mistake either. Power companies send out an email confirming the address. They can't say they weren't informed.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    That is just a joke though, right waamo? I mean, you wouldn't really do that yourself, would you?
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure