PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a property to renovate and sell

Options
manyspots
manyspots Posts: 124 Forumite
edited 20 March 2013 at 10:24PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hello,
My husband and I are interested in purchasing a property to renovate and sell. This would be our second property as we already own a home that we live in. Despite reading posts on here and on the revenue site I am still unsure about capital gains tax and wondered if someone might be able to answer a few questions.

The following is hyperthetical, we have not yet made an offer on a property although we have seen a couple that we are interested in:

Purchase: £90,000 (75% mortgage, we have 25% deposit)
Renovation: £15,000
Fees for solicitor buying and selling, estate agents and mortgage arrangement: £6,000
Mortage payments whilst we renovate and sell: £2,100
Estimated resale value: £125,000

Please can someone advise me on what tax I would be liable to pay. Am I right in believing that there is a threshold of £10,600 for capital gains tax and therefore we would only pay tax on any profit made after this threshold was exceeded? Can I deduct any fees or renovation costs from the profit to bring it closer to the threshold limit?

If we did follow this venture and it was successful we would be looking to do another renovation project. With this in mind would we then be entering a different sort of tax as we could be considered to be trading?

Thankyou in advance of any help or advice.

Comments

• googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    manyspots wrote: »
    If we did follow this venture and it was successful we would be looking to do another renovation project. With this in mind would we then be entering a different sort of tax as we could be considered to be trading?

What are doing with the first one, if it's not 'trading'?

Is it a hobby? A recreational pursuit?
  • manyspots
    Options
    googler wrote: »
    What are doing with the first one, if it's not 'trading'?

I thought that perhaps doing it once came under capital gains and doing it more than once became more of an ongoing business venture.
  • Ciderarmy1987
    Options
    manyspots wrote: »
    Hello,
    My husband and I are interested in purchasing a property to renovate and sell. This would be our second property as we already own a home that we live in. Despite reading posts on here and on the revenue site I am still unsure about capital gains tax and wondered if someone might be able to answer a few questions.

The following is hyperthetical, we have not yet made an offer on a property although we have seen a couple that we are interested in:

Purchase: £90,000 (75% mortgage, we have 25% deposit)
    Renovation: £15,000
    Fees for solicitor buying and selling, estate agents and mortgage arrangement: £6,000
    Mortage payments whilst we renovate and sell: £2,100
    Estimated resale value: £125,000

Please can someone advise me on what tax I would be liable to pay. Am I right in believing that there is a threshold of £10,600 for capital gains tax and therefore we would only pay tax on any profit made after this threshold was exceeded? Can I deduct any fees or renovation costs from the profit to bring it closer to the threshold limit?

Thankyou in advance of any help or advice.

If this is the 1st time you have done this, you have built in very little margin for error, your projected profit is only around 2K on an investment of around 50K not a huge amount more than you could get with 0 risk in a bank

Also your fees seem very low at 6K. You could easily spend more than that just on your selling fees
    Now buying our second house:
    Accepted offer 16/12/18. Offer accepted 26/1/19. Buyer pulled out 4/2/19. Accepted new offer 13/2/19

FTB: Offer accepted 23/2/2013 Mortgage application 28/2/2013 Valuation: 4/3/2013 Valuation ok 15/3/2013 Mortgage Offer 21/3/2013 Exchange 10/4/2013 Completion 26/4/2103
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How much time have you spent researching mortgage availability for such projects?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • JQ.
    JQ. Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Options
    If this is the 1st time you have done this, you have built in very little margin for error, your projected profit is only around 2K on an investment of around 50K not a huge amount more than you could get with 0 risk in a bank

Also your fees seem very low at 6K. You could easily spend more than that just on your selling fees

Am I missing something, are they not projecting a profit of £12,000 on an investment of £45,000, a return of 26%?

OP have you spoken to a mortgage broker, banks are not particularly keen on lending to speculative developers, that could be quite a stumbling block?
  • manyspots
    Options

Thankyou for taking the time to reply. I have built in £5,000 extra to the refurb costs which currently stand at less than £10,000. The £6,000 buying and selling was based on the total of figues gained from ringing up and getting quotes from solicitors, estate agents and the mortgage broker. Would you mind letting me know how you arrive at a higher cost for selling fees so that I can see where I have gone wrong. I worked out profit as £12,000.
  • manyspots
    Options
    kingstreet wrote: »
    How much time have you spent researching mortgage availability for such projects?

Thankyou for replying. We have spoken to a number of banks and a broker each time explaining what we wanted to do. A broker yesterday did mention a commercial mortgage but wouldn't go into more detail. Thsi was after my husband making it explicit that we didn't want to rent out the property. This made us think that a BTL mortgage was the wrong one to go for but the broker was not forthcoming in referring us to the commercial mortgage broker whom he said he worked with. We wondered if this was because he couldnt advise but we were very clear that we wanted to do up and sell so I would have thought the least he could do was say that a BTL mortgage wasn't what we should get if that is the case.

We would appreciate any advise on what sort of mortgage we should be looking for. We have always wanted to do this sort of venture but by no means plan to make a business out of it. Nor do we speculate making a fortune! It is quite simply fulfilling an interest at the same time as raising capital to put towards a house move for ourselves. Who knows, we may do one and hate it, never to repeat again.
  • manyspots
    Options
    JQ. wrote: »
    Am I missing something, are they not projecting a profit of £12,000 on an investment of £45,000, a return of 26%?

OP have you spoken to a mortgage broker, banks are not particularly keen on lending to speculative developers, that could be quite a stumbling block?

Thankyou for your reply. Might you be able to suggest ways in which we could finance a refurb and sell property. Unfortunately we cannot afford to buy outright.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    if a house at 90k will be worth 125k with only 10k of work, why is there not a queue of FTBs waiting to buy?
  • manyspots
    Options
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    if a house at 90k will be worth 125k with only 10k of work, why is there not a queue of FTBs waiting to buy?

We wondered the same thing! I have looked closely at the area including current properties for sale and past prices. I have enquired about feedback from previous viewings which so far seems to be that people want the house ready to move in to because they do not have the finances to buy and do it up themselves.

One estate agent speculated a much higher sale price which we believed to be inflated so the selling price we have built in to the equation is easily in line with what others are selling for in the area, in fact it is slightly lower. There are investors looking at the properties we have seen, two that we have seen have had an offer made on them by investors which tells us that we are looking at the right sort of properties. Two estate agents have said that many of their current investors are lower end investors.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure