SUV Petrol vs Disel Value

Options
bloke91
bloke91 Posts: 77 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Hi

I am intending to start family in the future and therefor intend to purchase a SUV.

The Mazda CX5 was the SUV of choice for the best in price range and class of SUV. Unfortunately the Petrol has no grunt, so I was going to purchase the SUV as a Diesel with a loan.

The reason for the Loan vs PHP is down to flexibility as I can change Trade it or sell for something else within the next four years if I wanted and I am not tied any agreement with mileage caps etc.

The Mazda CX5 is EURO6 approved but obviously with the government’s recent announcement relating to Diesels and the drop in sales I am nervous about purchasing a Diesel now.

I fear it won’t be worth much in 4 years’ time when the loan is paid, there won’t be much demand for Diesels or it won’t be worth as much if I want to trade it in and swop it within the next 4 years.

Obviously Diesels tend to be the best choice within the SUV market, but I am now considering if I would be bettering buy a different SUV in Petrol due to the Diesel issue. Perhaps a Seat Ateka or something.

Any advice would be appreciated as I am really concerned and confused at the moment. It’s a lot of money to spend and I don’t want to make the wrong decision.

Should I still buy a Diesel SUV 17 votes

Yes
64% 11 votes
No
29% 5 votes
Yes but as a PCP to gurantee the vaulue at the end of the agreement.
5% 1 vote

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unless you are a trader, you buy a car that suits your wants and needs and use it, whatever it is worth to the prospective buyer when you come to sell is a bonus.
    You can maximise the return by keeping it in good condition and avoiding prangs.
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    if you intend to start a family a bed is probably a better idea than an SUV.

Seriously though why do you think you "need" and SUV?

A decent estate car may suit your needs better.
    Re diesel v petrol you dont say what type of driving and how many miles you will do.
  • bloke91
    bloke91 Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It will be about 15k a year.
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My take is that Government has nailed its colours to the mast with its statement that it will not punish diesel drivers for following government advice so expect diesel anxiety to calm over the next year or so. Also a Euro 6 diesel is pretty much clean so no guilt trips required. Bad diesel is those prior to the Euro 5 spec (i.e. no particulate filters - Euro 5 to Euro 6 is not a major step, just an improvement in NO emissions).

Electric cars aren't there yet, but in about 5 years time the big manufacturers will be geared up for electric. However, that is the new market, the secondhand market will still be made up of today's cars so there will not be a significant drop in value.

I'm not a great fan of the Mazda, it ticks lots of boxes in features, but in common with other Mazdas, they achieve some of their performance check boxes by going lightweight by not putting enough soundproofing in, so they can be quite boomy (our old Mazda 6 was very noisy at motorway speeds). Make sure you get a test drive at realistic driving speeds.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have the CX5 (the more powerful 175 PS Sport Nav)and it is a comfortable ride. I don't find it especially noisy on the motorway, though it punishes you for speeding with the fuel economy. If I drive it sensibly I get an indicated 44mpg if not, then it doesn't go above 40. It appears to like A roads more than motorways for fuel economy as my best fuel economy has been when in Scotland.

It has a good and very practical boot, but for sheer space as stated above an estate would have more. I bought mine on a 0% conditional sale from a main dealer trading in a late 2010 E Class Mercedes. The E class was far better on fuel, but less practical.

I chose to not go via PCP as my mileage tends to be high - I'm on 14k since purchase in July last year already - serviced the car through Mazda main dealer at 10k following purchase.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    loskie wrote: »

Re diesel v petrol you dont say what type of driving and how many miles you will do.

This. I have a Mazda6 estate and it is as big as you would need and then some and the load space is more usable.

Of course it isn't as 'fashionable' as an SUV. :cool:
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    With child #2 imminent, and in need of a new car we were recently looking for an SUV. Our reasoning being the elevated seating would make it easier for strapping 2 kids into seats.

Of course, SUV's being in fashion right now means you're paying a 'trend tax' on them. There's another class of vehicle that has an elevated seating position, and isn't 'cool' (probably the opposite), the humble MPV.

If the seating position isn't a concern then I'd agree with what others have said about estates. If an SUV is what you really want, then go for it, but you should at least consider whether a people carrier will fit your needs and your budget. In the end we went for a Ford B-Max (basically a tall Fiesta) good access, reasonable boot space (for us, YMMV) easy to park and well under our budget.

As for fuel, 15k should be enough mileage to avoid DPF grief, but be prepared to keep it running if it decides to start a regen just as you reach your destination.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    I'm also heading into SUV ownership when my current car sells. It will be a diesel as I cover up to 2000 miles per month on business but need the size and convenience of the SUV. And I'm not one bit worried about the diesel concerns that are doing the rounds at the moment.

In my opinion PCP doesn't exist to help buyers, it's there to trap them.

Take out a loan, buy a diesel and get it paid off as quickly as possible would be my advice.

Best of luck
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• Geodark
    Geodark Posts: 1,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    loskie wrote: »

Exactly this, I have an Astra Estate and the boot on it is huge! I also have an SUV, a Freelander, but that is purely my "Toy Car" which I use when me and my son go fishing - the boot in the Astra is miles bigger than the Freelander one. And the Astra has much better economy - probably twice as a good as the Freelander.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Raxiel wrote: »
    As for fuel, 15k should be enough mileage to avoid DPF grief, but be prepared to keep it running if it decides to start a regen just as you reach your destination.

Annual mileage isn't really a good indication of whether you will get DPF grief or not, it's type of driving you do that matters.

I have a DPF equipped car that averages just less than 5k a year. The vast majority of that mileage is long distances on A roads or motorways. No DPF problems.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure