Grandparents taking child abroad do they need a consent letter????

Options
HI
My parents are taking my child abroad I've been told that due to them having a different surname I need to provide a letter of consent and send the child's and my own birth certificate is this right????

Comments

• sheepy21
    sheepy21 Posts: 221 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know if things have changed, but I used to travel abroad with mine without any troubles. I once got asked at check in who I was traveling with and confirmed she was my grandmother and that was fine.
  • converted
    converted Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    I have taken 2 different grandchildren abroad, on both occasions on the return journey I was asked if I had a letter of consent from their parents for taking them out of the country. On the 1st occasion I didn't, but in an extreme coincidence the boarder policeman at Brussels had went to school with my son in law in a remote Scottish village (he recognised my grandson's unusual surname) he advised me I should have a letter of consent. On the second occasion they accepted the letter but advised me that my daughter should have added her phone number just in case they wanted to check with her.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh yes! Grandfather of 4 children (including 2 step-grandchildren) needed letters of authority from parents plus copies of birth certificates and marriage certificates. The two sets of parents also got him a teeshirt (with photos of the children, stating "I'm the granddad" and the grandchildren each had a teeshirt with photo of granddad on saying "he's my granddad"!
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    thorsoak wrote: »
    Oh yes! Grandfather of 4 children (including 2 step-grandchildren) needed letters of authority from parents plus copies of birth certificates and marriage certificates. The two sets of parents also got him a teeshirt (with photos of the children, stating "I'm the granddad" and the grandchildren each had a teeshirt with photo of granddad on saying "he's my granddad"!

Oh, well. If its on a t-shirt it must be true
  • sezer87
    sezer87 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Love the t-shirt Idea
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Due to child abduction happening things have been tightened up and you need permission of everybody with parental responsibility.

https://www.gov.uk/permission-take-child-abroad
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    Oh, well. If its on a t-shirt it must be true
    Believe me - it is true! I'm the Granny! (was other side's Granddad ;) )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure