Funding help for Private doctors?

Options

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    My NHS GP doesn’t really get involved with my ADHD. .
    Might it be worth going to see him and explaining the problem? He might have some ideas how to get it prescribed for you?

Just a suggestion - you know the people caring for you better than me, but it might throw up a different avenue you could try before having to fund it yourself?
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The clause will be in the terms and conditions. If they accepted a claim so soon after claim starting and the person knows there!!!8217;s a claim coming up everyone would do it and they would loose out on money.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• Sncjw
    Options
    Also they won!!!8217;t insure you for pre exsisiting conditions due to the costs involved in the care for those.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to trust your consultant, she is the expert. If the drug is highly addictive, it could end up messing you up more than the effect of ADHD, especially if your main issue currently is lack of energy and motivation, which many people with no diagnosis of ADHD suffer from to.

You need to speak with her again and weigh the pros and con of any medication. If she feels that everything has been tried and that you symptoms are affecting you more than the side effects of other drugs, she might agree on a trial basis. You need to work with her. Self-medicating with any addictive medication is a recipe for disaster. Don't do it.
  • Marshall2260
    Marshall2260 Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Yeah I’ve definitely asked him before obviously but I have made a next appointment with him to see if he knows of any NHS ADHD nurse who would prescribe it. Cheers pal
  • Marshall2260
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    Might it be worth going to see him and explaining the problem? He might have some ideas how to get it prescribed for you?

Just a suggestion - you know the people caring for you better than me, but it might throw up a different avenue you could try before having to fund it yourself?

Yeah I’ve definitely asked him before obviously but I have made a next appointment with him to see if he knows of any NHS ADHD nurse who would prescribe it. Cheers pal
  • Marshall2260
    First Anniversary
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    You need to trust your consultant, she is the expert. If the drug is highly addictive, it could end up messing you up more than the effect of ADHD, especially if your main issue currently is lack of energy and motivation, which many people with no diagnosis of ADHD suffer from to.

You need to speak with her again and weigh the pros and con of any medication. If she feels that everything has been tried and that you symptoms are affecting you more than the side effects of other drugs, she might agree on a trial basis. You need to work with her. Self-medicating with any addictive medication is a recipe for disaster. Don't do it.

Hi FBaby, It’s not a case of not trusting her, but they simply do not prescribe it for whatever reason. Many places do though while the drug I want, Adderall is the most commonly prescribed drug of choice in America but unfortunately it isn’t available on the NHS over here. Dexedrine is the closest thing to Adderall. I definitely will not be self medicating!! I will either get it from an NHS nurse or a professional ADHD worker privately.

Thanks for your concern
  • Starrystarrynight1
    Options
    You say your ADHD worker doesn't like to prescribe the Dexedrine from day one, but it sounds like you have tried other medications and these haven't worked. Can't you ask the nurse again about Dexedrine again, now that you've gone through the first 'level' of drugs?

I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    I'd stick with trying the NHS options tbh. Private doctors can charge what they want. Finding £500 just for the meds each month is really tough, like a second rent let's be honest.

If one of the meds aren't suiting you ask for the alternatives
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • Sncjw
    Options
    They may not prescribe it due to nice and trust clinical guidelines
    Mortgage free wannabe