Marketplace fraud

Options
Hi to everyone. First I want to apologize for the poor English, but I really need your help. About 2 Months ago in Facebook marketplace I found person selling carpart which I needed. I contacted with him by Facebook messenger and realized that he lives to far from me that why I asked him to send the part with DPD parcel company and I will pay for that aswell. He gave me his back account number and sort code and his names. I sent the money immediately and he confirmed that he received the money. Few days later he told me that he sent the part but couldn't provide me any tracking number or receipt from the parcel company. After 2-3 weeks of waiting for something to happen I told him that I now he didn't sent anything and asked for my money back, I gave him my bank details but haven't received any money yet and he stopped answer me messages. I tried to open small court case but they need his address which I havent got. Im asking you for your help. And sorry again for the poor English.

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi to everyone. First I want to apologize for the poor English, but I really need your help. About 2 Months ago in Facebook marketplace I found person selling carpart which I needed. I contacted with him by Facebook messenger and realized that he lives to far from me that why I asked him to send the part with DPD parcel company and I will pay for that aswell. He gave me his back account number and sort code and his names. I sent the money immediately and he confirmed that he received the money. Few days later he told me that he sent the part but couldn't provide me any tracking number or receipt from the parcel company. After 2-3 weeks of waiting for something to happen I told him that I now he didn't sent anything and asked for my money back, I gave him my bank details but haven't received any money yet and he stopped answer me messages. I tried to open small court case but they need his address which I havent got. Im asking you for your help. And sorry again for the poor English.

The bad news is that you have almost certainly lost your money. Bank transfers are not a way of paying safely and you cannot get it back via your bank. Even if you were to go,to small claims you would need a geographic address that is linked to the seller, and I can't suggest any way of getting that.

Whilst it won't help on this occasion always pay using a safe method, a proper PayPal payment or by card.

You can report to auctionfraud so they have a note of it, but it doesn't help you get your money back.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • aido_daudov
    Options
    Thaks for your answer. I just find out where he works. If I give his working place address like his would it work. He will get the court letter probably
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thaks for your answer. I just find out where he works. If I give his working place address like his would it work. He will get the court letter probably

THat would work if it is his business, if he is an employee then you would still need a geographic address.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • aido_daudov
    Options
    It looks like a small family business but he is an employee there :( . Thats all the info that I foundfor him on his Facebook profile. I was hoping that they will pass him the letter when they see his name on it. So disappointed :(((
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If he is a scammer then his profile will be fake also.

Bank transfers are not the way to do business with strangers. Its like popping the money in an evelope and leaving it in a public bin.

Stick to ebay or cash on collection sales.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It looks like a small family business but he is an employee there :( . Thats all the info that I foundfor him on his Facebook profile. I was hoping that they will pass him the letter when they see his name on it. So disappointed :(((
    How much money are we talking about?

If you issue a court claim that will cost money, if it isn't the address of the person then it will be sent back to the court and you'd have to find the right address. I think that also costs extra money.

On the other hand if you do have his work address and it is a small company they may not be pleased that their employee is defrauding people. Unfortunately that might not help you get your money back.

If it were me and I have the details you have I'd probably write a (polite) letter to the company along with any details you may have to back it up. Stick in your bank details and ask to be reimbursed. That's not going to cost you any more than a stamp and has about as much chance of working as a court claim.
  • aido_daudov
    Options
    Thank for all your answers and help. His Facebook profile is not fake because I see every day he is posting stuff, i can see his pictures his friends and family (probably he doesn't realise that because I'm not in his Facebook friends list). I thought to write to his family and friends about what he did but just wanted to keep it like a last option because that wil remaind him to block me. I will try to write to his employer, will ask some friend to write it in fluency English. Thanks guys.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What value ?
  • aido_daudov
    Options
    £140, sory I forgot to answer to this question.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    To get his home address, could you get a friend to offer to collect an item from his home if he's still selling
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure