PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How to engage with future neighbours

Options
Hi All,

I am seriously considering putting in an offer for a flat (in a building of 18 units) but I would like to talk with two neighbours first.

I would like to talk with another top-floor flat owner (regarding temperature in hot and cold seasons). Also with another owner who has the same floormap as of the flat I am interested in and they did some work to get an extra bedroom (I'd like to know how difficult that was and the price).

How should I go about arranging those chats? I don't feel comfortable ringing at their door bell (I feel I'd trouble them). But maybe I should.
Or can I ask the EA to arrange those two chats?

What would you do?

Thanks,
Dan

Comments

• Ashbash1991
    Options
    ........just knock, If I had a estate agent banging on my door asking questions id tell them to go away that just says to me the person who wants to buy the house/flat cant be bothered but if someone who was interested in the house/flat came and asked id talk to them merrily.

Happened in a flat we moved out of last year we saw a couple of people trying to look through next doors windows (vacant) they came over and had a chat we even showed them around ours. Not the same circumstances entirely it was a military flat and we dont get to see them beforehand we just have to bid then hope its nice haha so you often had people coming for a nosy through windows to try get a idea of the state of the place.
  • martinthebandit
    martinthebandit Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Actually it's probably pretty important that you do knock on the neighbours door before buying, at least that way you stand a chance of finding out that you may not want them as neighbours before it's too late.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Although don't be offended if some neighbours don't even answer the door to you...some people are like that.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Knock on the door, smile when they open, say "I'm really sorry to bother you but I'm buying a flat in the building and wondered if I could ask you a couple of questions about what it's like here." Most people will be fine with that.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Knocking on doors and speaking in person is something those of us of a certain age do perhaps more readily as, for a significant portion of our lives, it was the only way to communicate with people.

In this day and age, is there not a Fakelook group for this block of flats? It wouldn't surprise me.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always knock on doors.

If you get a frosty reception, well, you've learned a valuabl leson about your prospective neighbours......
  • DigitalSheppard
    Options
    Just knock and say hello.

Although, I've previously done it while carrying a tray of biscuits

Granted, you might catch them at a bad time but introduce yourself and if they ask you to come back later, that's alright. However, if they are rude, then you might not want to live next door to them.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just knock and say hello.

Although, I've previously done it while carrying a tray of biscuits

Granted, you might catch them at a bad time but introduce yourself and if they ask you to come back later, that's alright. However, if they are rude, then you might not want to live next door to them.

Yes, biscuits, absolutely. Reserve cake for neighbour disputes, eh, G_M? ;)
  • cybervic
    cybervic Posts: 597 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did this and got a very nice welcome in the building where I bought my flat. You can tell what kind of atmosphere is there in the building between neighbours too.
    I was really nervous but it has to be done. Go for it OP.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If I encountered a stranger on my doorstep with a tray of biscuits I would think they are decidedly creepy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure