PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Fixing the house next door

Options
I'm interested to know others opinion of the possible pitfalls of doing work on my neighbouring house. Bit of background -

I live in a semi detached period property, build around 1900. An elderly chap lived next door in the house attached to mine, but he died around three years ago and in his will left the property to his son who lives elsewhere. Since the gentleman passed away the property has been unoccupied and unmaintained and is starting to fall apart. There is a hole in the roof and pigeons have taken up residency in the loft.

I've tried to find a way to contact the owner but the land registry shows an old address for the son who has since moved. Also the council aren't interested as it's a privately owned property.

I'm beginning to consider getting repairs done to the property myself to at least repair the roof and remove the pigeons and maybe even make the property look half decent from the front. But I realise it's a bit of a potential minefield. For a start I'll be trespassing and also there will be indemnity issues. It might be that tradespeople will refuse to do the work anyway as it's not my property.

Has anyone done this? Or found another way to get a property maintained? Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Even if privately owned, your council should have a vacant homes officer who will investigate ownership, and contacting the owner to get repairs done so the house can be inhabited again. Its actually quite a priority nowadays.

It will take time though.

I would advise that you should never repair someone else's house.
  • rococomaiden
    Options
    Yes, I don't know who you spoke to at the council but there is a housing crisis and it's in their best interest to reduce the number of uninhabited houses.
    It's a real shame there are so many houses just sitting unoccupied slowly falling into disrepair...
  • lostelephant
    Options
    I think it's a ludicrous idea... how would you feel if somebody trespassed onto your property and started doing work on your roof without permission? Unfortunately it's not your house, not your problem.

Who are the local council? As previous posters mentioned they really should be interested in this.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is the condition of next door actually causing a legal nuisance of some sort to yours (e.g. leaky roof allowing damp to come through to your property) or is it just the look of it you don't like?

Obviously the only party who could complain about trespass is the apparently non-existent owner.
  • sillyhilly
    sillyhilly Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's a ludicrous idea... how would you feel if somebody trespassed onto your property and started doing work on your roof without permission? Unfortunately it's not your house, not your problem.

Who are the local council? As previous posters mentioned they really should be interested in this.

Except it is their problem, hence posting on MSE and confirming that the house is derelict, becoming a host for pests and may well be bringing their house value down.

How would I feel if a house I owned was falling into disrepair, and somebody else came onto the property to repair it thereby keeping its value? Pretty damn smug to be honest.
  • 01afraser4
    01afraser4 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sillyhilly wrote: »
    Except it is their problem, hence posting on MSE and confirming that the house is derelict, becoming a host for pests and may well be bringing their house value down.

How would I feel if a house I owned was falling into disrepair, and somebody else came onto the property to repair it thereby keeping its value? Pretty damn smug to be honest.

Whilst it may be unlikely, what if the owner has plans of their own to redevelop or improve the property? Any work done by a complete stranger may hinder this - in which case the owner would not be feeling smug at all, they'd be rather irritated especially if the work does not complement their own plans.

Just because the owner has not been contactable and the property has been vacant for 3 years does not mean there are no plans in the pipeline.
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I can see it now. I don't have the money to do up the house I've inherited. Next door neighbour goes and fixes my roof. either Sue the neighbour saying he damaged the rotten downstairs floor. Neighbour has to pay for that as well
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • sillyhilly
    sillyhilly Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    01afraser4 wrote: »
    Whilst it may be unlikely, what if the owner has plans of their own to redevelop or improve the property? Any work done by a complete stranger may hinder this - in which case the owner would not be feeling smug at all, they'd be rather irritated especially if the work does not complement their own plans.

Just because the owner has not been contactable and the property has been vacant for 3 years does not mean there are no plans in the pipeline.

I entirely understand where you are coming from, however repairing a hole in a roof to prevent pests from getting into the loft is unlikely to hinder any future development plans. It is highly likely that they wouldn't even know!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 July 2019 at 5:30PM
    Options
    Chase the council.

Vacant Housing Officer - his job is to get empty properties back in use. eg

https://secure.manchester.gov.uk/info/10084/private_landlords_information/5584/empty_properties/2

Environmental Health might also help if there'sa health risk eg damp spreading to neighbouring property, rats/mice etc
  • webnibbler
    webnibbler Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sillyhilly wrote: »
    I entirely understand where you are coming from, however repairing a hole in a roof to prevent pests from getting into the loft is unlikely to hinder any future development plans. It is highly likely that they wouldn't even know!

This was what I was thinking too, the owner doesn't appear to be interested and almost certainly wouldn't notice if I repaired the roof. Even if he did I could just deny it was me if push came to shove.

It's more out of desperation really, I certainly wouldn't choose to spend my hard-earned on someone else's problem. But with noisy, dirty pigeons in the loft a few feet away and adjoining timbers supporting the roof it's fast becoming my problem too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure