PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

does house value rise?

Options

Comments

• obay
    obay Posts: 570 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, that's the issue, it's because we moved into a world of pain, this is what I am telling her, that this house is absolutely perfect now as we've removed a ton of the issues that we once had, I know the speed we've gone, it's stupidly quick, I told her we should slow down and enjoy it, everything to make woman happy? right?
    [STRIKE]1/12/16 - £152,599.00 [/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]11/11/17 - £145,990.00 [/STRIKE] <> Overpaid £3916.
    11/11/18 - £142,074.00
    Barclays Car (5.99%)£0/£8,832.37
  • DonnySaver
    DonnySaver Posts: 563 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It IS possible. Our house went up in value by around £60k within the first year we bought it 1999/2000. We always say that if we'd waited another 6 months we'd never have been able to afford it.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    obay wrote: »

the house had a broken roof(water leaking in the bedroom), 25 year old boiler, damp and mould issues, no insulation, dodgy electric that got condemned a few months ago, and genuinely not a great property to be in.

we've now repaired and replaced everything in this house and brought it up to a good standard, IE we have gone around, removed all damp issues and mould replaced boiler, etc.
    Its likely you paid a lower price for the house because of the improvements needed. Did the estate agent give a valuation of the improved house?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I can understand why your wife resents the fact that so much effort (and obviously money) has had to be spent on the house.

Been there/done that - twice now.

I'm in a 1970s house now and really struggle to "get my head round" why a house could have been so neglected/had so little time and money spent on it - considering it had several previous owners (not just one).

But "I put my head down" and got on with doing about 50 years worth of maintenance work at once + putting right things that were old-fashioned already when the house was built.

Having done all that - I want me to be the one that gets the benefit of all my hard work and loadsa money spent. So it makes sense to me that you & your wife give it a couple of years "for the dust to settle" and the resentment at having had to do so much work other people should have done but didnt. There's no point in speculating as to why they didn't do it (ie fulfil their responsibilities is the way I think of it - coming from a home-owning family). It might have been meanness/laziness/illness/lack of money/who knows? - but you have to try and forget the resentment you've had to go through all that and give the house a chance to see if you can "settle" in it once it's up to standard at last and not just move on. I guess it's akin to childbirth - the memory fades into the background of what you've been put through after a while.

After all - a high proportion of our housing stock needs a lot of work on it for one or more of the above reasons to do with previous owners. You could be going "from the frying pan (now cleaned and gleaming) into the fire" and have to go through the whole thing again if you move - and pile on even more resentment at having to do other peoples work for them.

Even a noticeable proportion of brand new houses have problems - due to the way they're being "thrown up" at a rate of knots and many builders arent taking the time/trouble to make sure they are even actually finished before selling them.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 March 2017 at 9:32AM
    Options
    Money, you don't resent buying a house that needs improvement; you buy it at a reduced price and bring it up to the standard you require.

If you do that, what the previous owner did or didn't do is no concern of yours.

What can be galling is removing perfectly serviceable things in the course of improvements, but again, apportioning blame is unhelpful.
  • juniordoc
    juniordoc Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah 40k extra for having a retail park nearby is ridiculous, you might be lucky to get 5 or 7k more.
    The next 18 months is hardly gonna be a big winner for house prices rising....Remember a little thing called Brexit?!
  • always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    Options
    It depends where it is.
    Blackpool or London?

Do you have a link of what sold for £210k?
    EU expat working in London
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Money, you don't resent buying a house that needs improvement; you buy it at a reduced price and bring it up to the standard you require.

If you do that, what the previous owner did or didn't do is no concern of yours.

What can be galling is removing perfectly serviceable things in the course of improvements, but again, apportioning blame is unhelpful.

Maybe that depends on whether the money spent could be recovered. Often it cant. I would need to charge £55,000 more than I paid for the house to recover money spent - and that's not taking any account of inflation/house price inflation or anything for my work. I could only charge around £20,000 more for the house than I paid for it = a loss of £35,000 plus house price inflation plus my work done for nothing.

That's the thing about quite a few houses - one can't recover all the money put into doing work on them. Hence the resentment there would be of doing work for free and spending more money than one could ever recover that applies to many houses.

Maybe OP is in a similar situation - rather than a "make a profit from having done that work" situation? Many people are...
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Retail parks don't provide lots of highly paid jobs. Managers commute and try and live somewhere they could travel to a number of shops belonging to the firm without moving house. I worked as a retail manager for 28 years and I have never come across anyone who moved house to be near a particular store. People moved to an area, say a transfer from Liverpool to Yorkshire, but they don't buy a house close to a particular store. They do what everyone else does and find a place they want to live in. Maybe customers will spend an extra £40k to be near their favourite shop?

Could it be at all possible that the estate agent said something to help you decide to buy so he got his sale and commission? Surely not, EA's are always completely truthful and never say anything untrue. The agent should have purchased a couple of buy to lets and covered his costs for 12 months then sold for a nice profit with his expert knowledge of future house prices.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Maybe that depends on whether the money spent could be recovered. Often it cant.....

That's the thing about quite a few houses - one can't recover all the money put into doing work on them. .

The decision to buy, to do the work and choosing the level to which it is done is always the purchaser's.

Therefore, it's wrong to try and pin the blame for that on anyone else.

We've walked away from houses when the figures didn't stack-up. On this one, we had advice so that we knew what we could spend sensibly before starting renovations.

A few of our friends are trapped in houses they can't sell and re-coup what they spent, so they rattle around in them rather than down-size. It was their choice. Like the OP, all they ever saw was prices rising rapidly. Well, since 2007 they haven't really done so here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure