Vertical Flue blowing downwards

Options
Hi there,

My neighbour installed a vertical flue through the roof of his extension last year.

Problem is when the wind catches the roofline it forces the plume from their flue to blow downwards towards two of my bedroom windows. If the windows are open and the wind is blowing strong (which it often does) then it can enter my bedrooms.

I spoke to my neighbour last year about the issue. He installed it himself (he's a gas safe engineer) and said its fine. I asked if the flue could be moved higher on the roof or moved to his side of the extension but he said it couldn't. He said the only other option was to install a horizontal flue and then use a diverter kit, but that would mean bringing the terminal into my side of the property which I wasn't keen on.

He said he would look into it and we left it at that. With the warm summer the flue situation went to the back of my mind but now we're back in winter it's back with force.

I've been reading the gas regs but I'm not sure what the regs are around vertical flues and neighbours.

I'm looking for advice. It's this something I'm overreacting about or should I be speaking with the council.

I have pictures that would help but as I've only just joined MSE won't let me post them. Does anyone know how I can share these?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• southcoastrgi
    Options
    Put the pics on a photo hosting site & post the links here without the http & the forum will think it's just text
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What's the approximate distance from the flue terminal to the windows? I can't see him getting it wrong but it's worth asking.
  • RequiemValorum
    Options
    Ah thanks for the idea,

The pics are here: imgur.com/gallery/dZz01b0

As for the distance it's hard to gauge but I would say it's over a meter and a half to 2 meters.
  • southcoastrgi
    Options

• southcoastrgi
    Options
    I think you are over worrying, if the flue came out the side onto your property with a plume kit it would be even worse, if it was an old boiler you wouldn't even give that flue position a 2nd thought even though the CO coming out of it would probably be 10x what it is now it's only the fact that you can see the plume now

• RequiemValorum
    Options
    I see your point, I am willing to live with it if other folks think it's reasonable I'm just too close to it to judge.

I've added a video from today so you can see what it's like when it gets going blowing steam directly at the window I'm filming from and falling towards the other window. Should it be doing this? Surely it should be blowing upwards?
  • RequiemValorum
    Options
    Sorry the video can be found here:

imgur.com/gallery/qd6Cs8A still can't post links yet.
  • Whitterbod
    Options
    web site with permitted flue positioning each letter has a minimum distance

https://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/blog/move-the-boiler-in-your-home
    Thats a good idea thanks muchly.. 😊
  • southcoastrgi
    Options

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

The chimney should extend at least 3 feet above the roof surface it penetrates and 2 feet higher than any roofline or other obstacle within a horizontal distance of 10 feet. Taller chimneys make more draft, but chimneys exposed to outside cold don't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure