Options
2»

Comments

• mro
    mro Posts: 813 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    S0litaire wrote: »
    Everything is working fine! I've been running it for the past few days with no problems.

The "segment not available" is an error at BBC's end. Usually they fix it quite quickly once it's spotted.

Leave it for an hour or so and try again.
    Unfortunately I have had this problem with same error (server (52), segment52) all day Fri since early afternoon into evening with all my downloads, hasn't gone away.
  • mro
    mro Posts: 813 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    S0litaire wrote: »
    Everything is working fine! I've been running it for the past few days with no problems.

The "segment not available" is an error at BBC's end. Usually they fix it quite quickly once it's spotted.

Leave it for an hour or so and try again.
    I'm still getting this segment problem on most downloads, some downloads are ok.

I upgraded get_iplayer on my laptop to v3.01, still getting segment problem.

I am using command:

get_iplayer --pid=p04yx8rj --type=radio --mode=hlsaaclow

Could someone try this command to see if it downloads or fails.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    mro wrote: »
    I'm still getting this segment problem on most downloads, some downloads are ok.

I upgraded get_iplayer on my laptop to v3.01, still getting segment problem.

I am using command:

get_iplayer --pid=p04yx8rj --type=radio --mode=hlsaaclow

Could someone try this command to see if it downloads or fails.
    Tried on my fedora got
    ERROR: Download aborted at 570 secs in programme
    INFO: skipping hlsaaclow1 mode
    ERROR: Failed to record 'Paul Miller Soul Show - 448. 16/04/2017 (p04yx8rj)'
    but then ..... without mode= then I got success but of course it is 6x larger HTH
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Use the PVR manager.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I wonder how this will cope when the BBC enforce sign-ins...
  • S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I wonder how this will cope when the BBC enforce sign-ins...
    Very easliy.

get_iplayer *had* an option in the past to store and use a username and password and store a login cookie for easy access.

it just needs turned on or added back in and it should be good to go...
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • tonygold
    tonygold Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    can somebody explain to me why you would need this program as the 'official' iplayer (tv) and iplayer (radio) both allow downloads? i thought it may be because it meant you could download whilst abroad but i have learnt this is not the case.

just wondering. many thanks.
  • psychic_teabag
    psychic_teabag Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tonygold wrote: »
    can somebody explain to me why you would need this program as the 'official' iplayer (tv) and iplayer (radio) both allow downloads? i thought it may be because it meant you could download whilst abroad but i have learnt this is not the case.

Last time I looked, it was only the windows version that allowed downloads. (Presumably to enforce the DRM stuff.) I use linux.

The official one is presumably all web-based - some of us prefer command lines, scripts, etc.

Less legitimately, the official one enforces the expiry time limit, whereas iplayer lets you hang onto programs until you're ready to watch them. (Again, this was last time I looked - I don't have windows, so I can't check if this has changed.)
  • bat999
    bat999 Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ... why you would need this program as the 'official' ... iplayer (radio)... allow downloads?
    Many of the BBC radio shows are available as podcasts so that they can be loaded onto an mp3 player.

But some of the BBC radio shows are not available as podcasts.:(
    Programs such as get_iplayer and youtube-dl enable you to dowload these shows so that they can be loaded onto an mp3 player too.:cool:
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Because some shows only stay on the iplayer for 7 days and then they are gone. Watchdog was one i always missed.

Say the show aired in a Tuesday, I was not able to watch that so turned to the BBC iplayer, no show, then on Monday night last Tuesdays show appears and then on Tuesday its gone because the new show has aired.

If your not checking the iplayer in that very small timeframe you miss it.

With getiplayer the build in PVR checks for the show every 4 hours as standard and your unlikely to miss it.

Also i can watch the show on devices that are not connected to the internet. I dont need an internet connection to watch the shows later.

Also it can download the next episode of a show so your less likely to miss one.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure