After Win 10 update, restart message remains after restart.

Options
JohnB47
JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
I recently updated my win 10 laptop from Windows build 1803 to 1903 and all is well.

However I noticed, when I went to settings/update and security, it was telling me that I needed to restart to complete the update.

I tried clicking on 'Restart' on that window but nothing happened (this has been the case with previous updates), so I turned the laptop off and on again.

Trouble is, it still says I need to restart.

I'm not sure if this is actually a problem. Any ideas how I can satisfy the PC?

Comments

• donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    Options
    I had the same thing when I updated in late June, actually, it is still showing. But I have had two updates last week and everything is working as normal so I just ignore it.
  • JohnB47
    Options
    donnac2558 wrote: »
    I had the same thing when I updated in late June, actually, it is still showing. But I have had two updates last week and everything is working as normal so I just ignore it.

Fair enough. I think I'll ignore it too. It might get fixed in the nest update.
  • JohnB47
    edited 21 July 2019 at 7:30PM
    Options
    Just though I'd report back.

Since watching Task Manager for a few days, it was obvious that Avast was working overtime and I began to get messages that the update had not completed and I needed to restart. I checked and saw that Windows Defender/Security had been enabled (I had stopped it when I installed Avast).

I wondered if Avast was effectively stopping the windows update, so I used Revo Unstaller to completely remove Avast, then I restarted the PC - which actually worked this time.

After quite a while - about 2 - 3 hours, the update had finally installed and all is well again.

I'll rely on Windows Security from now on.
  • RichL74
    RichL74 Posts: 938 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmm, funny you should mention Avast. I too had issues relating to Windows and its updates and since getting rid of Avast I have not run into a single issue.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    Options
    All my updates go through each month. Never had Avast.

Just this one in the list saying to restart to finish.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure