Win 10 system drive letter ????

Options
I have located this not that I am alert but only because my backup failed! I request help to solve this drive lettering issue!

My SSD drive partitions include 'C' for the OS and progs/apps plus the usual other 'hidden' partitions such as the *.system partition.

When I tried to run a backup this evening from a macrium backup definition I have been using for ages to drive D: (Seagate expansion drive) it failed owing to lack of space. There is loads of space on the Seagate.

On checking (it usually connects as drive D:) I found that Drive D is now the *.system drive (is small hence failure). Windows explorer show that system partition as drive D now. Why I do not know! Mini Partition Wizard still shows that system partition with no drive letter!! The Seagate expansion is currently now given E for a drive letter.

I can modify the backup definition file (location) to create my system/OS backup and run it...but why????

Can anyone explain why Windows reports the system partition now as drive d: but (and just updated) Partition wizard remains as *.system. Showing a system partition as drive D is not really a good idea, IMHO.

Windows latest update (Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803) is pending and I thought a backup first would be prudent!!

Comments

• debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    What does disk management say? does it have a drive letter ? It shouldn't of course it sould be hidden but you may have inadvertenly assigned one or mini patition wizard or windows has. Right click on it in Disk Management and select Change Drive letter and Paths , then remove the drive letter

Edited: oh and then reboot the ext should return to D:
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have the Phantom 'Drive D', however, when right clicking on it in Drive Management the only option I get is 'help'. All other drives have the option to change drive letter.
    Not a major issue, just a slight annoyance at each start up being informed it's nearly full (despite it being empty).
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks debit, will give that a look this evening.
  • Pikeyp
    Pikeyp Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Windows latest update (Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803) is pending and I thought a backup first would be prudent!!

I've noticed this too (the previously hidden 'system' partition becoming visible), it's because the update hasn't gone through yet, after you update it should revert to how it was!
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Nope, still there after the update...
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Apologies to respondents....not yet had chance to check out the advice as other things have to take priority for the moment.......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure