Toy r us gift card no credit

Options
My son was given a gift card from toy r us a few months ago. I had ordered a scooter for his birthday and it was damaged. As goodwill and to cover the return trip of petrol they gave me a gift card. I took him shopping today and went to use the gift card but was told the balance was zero. Is there any way you can check the use of a gift card or when credit is applied. I suspect that it wasnt activated but as its a few months ago i dont suppose i have much hope.
Thanks

Comments

• Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Who gave the card, was it the manager of a store or Head Office? Try to speak to whoever was responsible for issuing it.

Or speak to their Customer Services - there must be some history if the card has been used - and whether it was activated.

I'm assuming you either didn't get, or have lost, a paper receipt showing the value?

I don't think it matters if the gift card was given a few months ago, even if you didn't buy it or receive it as a present but was given to you as part compensation - I should have thought that most store gift cards have at least a year's credit on.
  • paul2louise
    Options
    Chris25 wrote: »
    Who gave the card, was it the manager of a store or Head Office? Try to speak to whoever was responsible for issuing it.

Or speak to their Customer Services - there must be some history if the card has been used - and whether it was activated.

I'm assuming you either didn't get, or have lost, a paper receipt showing the value?

I don't think it matters if the gift card was given a few months ago, even if you didn't buy it or receive it as a present but was given to you as part compensation - I should have thought that most store gift cards have at least a year's credit on.

I managed to get thro to a nice lady who said there was 29.99 still on the card but there was a glitch on it and she needed to sort that out. She did phone me back and said it was all sorted. They had a full history of when the card was issued and what uses plus any balance checks. So hopefully not have any problems next time. Pity tho i wanted to use the card. I didnt push it on that fact i had paid in cash. Just means i will have to take my son shopping again soon. He doesnt really need any more toys
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ah, at least you got some sort of satisfaction -#I suppose it could be used for Christmas? sorry to mention it :)
  • paul2louise
    Options
    Yes i think we might have to be a bit sneaky and get santa to go to toy r us and find out what he might want.
  • paul2louise
    Options
    Chris25 wrote: »
    ah, at least you got some sort of satisfaction -#I suppose it could be used for Christmas? sorry to mention it :)

Having read some of the scary rumours will they still be in business by christmas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure