When you move home.

Options
I didn't realise when you move home that any fixed deal you have comes to an end.
I'm presently with SSE, and was on a 3 year fixed tariff, but they tell me once I move into my new home I will initially be placed on a standard tariff, and then have the option of signing up to their new 3 year deal. However, after recent price increases, I'm sure this will not represent the more attractive tariff I was previously on.

Comments

• dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 September 2017 at 8:21AM
    Options
    I'm afraid that SSE are correct, your deal is based on the address you were living in when you made it.
    3 year deals are expensive, so if you made it in say Feb/March this year, chances are you can find a One year deal to beat it.

Understand that when you move you must sign up with the present supplier to that dwelling as soon as you move in, and it's long odds that, that supplier is also SSE
    Only when the encumbant supplier has sent you a Welcome Pack, are you are free to move to SSE or any other supplier
  • whattochoose
    Options
    dogshome wrote: »

Understand that when you move you must sign up with the present supplier to that dwelling as soon as you move in, and it's long odds that, that supplier is also SSE
    Only when the encumbant supplier has sent you a Welcome Pack, are you are free to move to SSE or any other supplier

Thank you dogshome, I was not aware of this. I am moving into sheltered accommodation where the previous tenant has died suddenly. The gentleman used a pre-payment electricity meter which is something I am not familiar with. On contacting SSE about this, they have told me they will be taking over my supply in my new home. They also tell me it will not be necessary to change the meter already present in the flat, and that the transfer to a credit meter system will take place by the end of September. In the meantime I am using a EON top up card but SSE tell me they will send me one of their top up cards to use until the meter allows me to give them readings.
    I realise this appears different from advice given by you, but this is what SSE have told me they intend to do with my account.
    Thank you.
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you dogshome, I was not aware of this. I am moving into sheltered accommodation where the previous tenant has died suddenly. The gentleman used a pre-payment electricity meter which is something I am not familiar with. On contacting SSE about this, they have told me they will be taking over my supply in my new home. They also tell me it will not be necessary to change the meter already present in the flat, and that the transfer to a credit meter system will take place by the end of September. In the meantime I am using a EON top up card but SSE tell me they will send me one of their top up cards to use until the meter allows me to give them readings.
    I realise this appears different from advice given by you, but this is what SSE have told me they intend to do with my account.
    Thank you.

Morning whattochoose,

Thank you dogshome,

I understand you've decided to change supplier, but if we currently supply the property and it sounds like we do if you have E.ON pre-payment card then you will need to contact us to let us know you've moved in.

This is so we can set up an account for you from the date you took responsibility of the property until the change of supply is complete.

We would need the move in date and meter reads along with your name and details.

We'll also send you a new pre-payment card for the time being, so the payments go on to your correct account, if you're using an old card and haven't contacted us, it maybe that the payments are going to an incorrect account.

But don't worry, we have a home moves team here and they'll do this for you and get the account up and running.

You can give us a ring and the number is on our website.

I'm here if you need me though.

Thank you

Helena:)
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure