United Utilities - Water stop tap question

Options
The water stop tap to the house is located in the street. I turned it off today so that I could install a garden tap. But it did not completely isolate the supply. Clearly, it needs a repair.

The question is, is it United Utilities problem to repair, or it is mine?

Comments

• shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you 100% certain that there isn't a stop !!!! somewhere in your property? as it's unusual not to have an internal one.
    It might be fairly well hidden and could take a bit of looking for.

If the only one is in the street then I would say that it's the responsibility of the utility company to fix or replace it.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you 100% certain that there isn't a stop !!!! somewhere in your property? as it's unusual not to have an internal one.
    It might be fairly well hidden and could take a bit of looking for.

If the only one is in the street then I would say that it's the responsibility of the utility company to fix or replace it.

Yes, there is one in the house, under the kitchen sink. However, this spur in the basement that I've used fir the outside tap occurs before the internal stop tap. Therefore it needs to be isolated in the street.
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    What does it mean to 'not completely isolate' the supply?
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    What does it mean to 'not completely isolate' the supply?

It means that there is still some water flowing, even though the stop tap is fully turned off.
  • Alfrescodave
    Alfrescodave Posts: 994 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had similar problem when plumber was doing a job for me. The internal stop c**k would not completely stop the water so he also tried to turn off water using street stop c**k. This also failed. He phoned Thames Water and they turned up next day to replace external stop c**k , free of charge.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    Yes, there is one in the house, under the kitchen sink. However, this spur in the basement that I've used fir the outside tap occurs before the internal stop tap. Therefore it needs to be isolated in the street.

So you have spurred off the incoming supply before the house isolation point.?

Not a good way to install additional taps. Could give a future occupier a real problem if they assume quite rightly that the stopcock under the sink isolates all the taps in the house.
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    So you have spurred off the incoming supply before the house isolation point.?

Not a good way to install additional taps. Could give a future occupier a real problem if they assume quite rightly that the stopcock under the sink isolates all the taps in the house.

Can we not get sidetracked on this? The question is: who is responsible for the maintenance of the stop tap located in the street?
  • unforeseen
    Options
    If you had thought to go to your water suppliers site, you would have found https://www.unitedutilities.com/help-and-support/your-water-supply/water-supply-pipes/

Took 10 seconds.
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    If you had thought to go to your water suppliers site, you would have found https://www.unitedutilities.com/help-and-support/your-water-supply/water-supply-pipes/

Took 10 seconds.

I did think to look there. But was unable to find it!
  • unforeseen
    edited 21 July 2019 at 5:58PM
    Options
    It wasn't exactly hidden. It was in help and support of all places. An obvious place to start really
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure