Options

Comments

• elaneh
    elaneh Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Silvertabby
    thanks for that
    I found some guidance that says the employer decides based on the certificate of the IRMP but the IRMP must be approved by the authority if they are not the employer (no report yet and not yet even been asked to sign for medical records)
    what I can't quite get is if the employer says yes for an active member is that it? or does the administering authority also have a say?
    trying to understand how many stages
    it is all so stressful!
    Thanks again for your answer, hoping you can help me
    E
  • Silvertabby
    Options
    what I can't quite get is if the employer says yes for an active member is that it? or does the administering authority also have a say? Posted by elaneh

The pensions administrator does exactly that - they simply administer the LGPS on behalf of the employers.

Some LGPS rules are set in concrete, whereas some lesser aspects are 'at the employers discretion'.

In the case of an ill health retirement, the LGPS cannot and will not go against the instructions of the employer - as long as they have the correct documentation (especially the medical certificate) they will process the payment.

Some employers get confused over 'employers costs' - ie, the additional lump sum they may need to pay the pension fund in certain circumstances, such as redundancy or flexible retirement. However, in the case of ill health retirement, the cost of the enhanced benefits is met by the pension fund. That rule is 'set in concrete'.
  • elaneh
    elaneh Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks that clarifies that at least I am waiting only for the medical stuff and my employer and not then another process.
    You are so helpful. it is very reassuring to have someone that knows what they are talking about
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You're very welcome.
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The pensions administrator does exactly that - they simply administer the LGPS on behalf of the employers.

To be fair to the OP, they wrote of the 'administering authority', not the scheme administrator (if a county council outsources day-to-day scheme administration, it still remains the pension fund's administering authority). With respect to an ill health retirement, while you're right that it is the employer's decision, on advice of an IRMP appointed by them, the IRMP themselves must be approved by the administering authority (this is in the regs).
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,039 Forumite
    Options
    “ The pensions administrator does exactly that - they simply administer the LGPS on behalf of the employers.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    To be fair to the OP, they wrote of the 'administering authority', not the scheme administrator (if a county council outsources day-to-day scheme administration, it still remains the pension fund's administering authority).
    Strictly speaking, you're right - but OP spoke of her employer and the administrating authority and so clearly used 'administrating authority' for 'LGPS administrator'.
    With respect to an ill health retirement, while you're right that it is the employer's decision, on advice of an IRMP appointed by them, the IRMP themselves must be approved by the administering authority (this is in the regs).
    That's why I said the the documentation - including the ill health certificate - supplied by the employer must be correct. One of the checks carried out by the LGPS is that the Dr is on the approved list.
  • bon0504
    Options
    Hi
    I have been through the process and it was quite daunting but I was awarded tier 1 without too much difficulty. My line manager was amazing and helped me throughout the process.
    She sat down with me about a year before I applied and told me how to maximise my chances of being granted Tier1.
    You are doing all the right things by collecting info from your medical team especially the fact that they support your application.
    Secondly, reducing your hours as this is something that they are likely to ask from you before applying. I went from five days to 4 dropping a Wednesday which meant i was only doing two days at a time. This made an enormous difference but was still too much, but I had ticked that box. I then reduced to 20 hours which was financially difficult but helped me with my application.
    When I finally applied i was granted tier 1 with no problems.
    I also applied for and was granted PIP while I was waiting on my retirement decision. Don't know if you have this but is a great help financially.
    I have Fibromyalgia which is horrendous and very debilitating.
    Good luck with your application and keep well x
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    Options
    Just come across this thread as I am in the process of doing this, I dont have a LGPS but I am in the process and it does take a while to sort out, well mine has.

I have seen the OH doctor and he suggest some adjustments and if these didn't help my working situation then he would support an application for ill health retirement. This was suggested by my employer and not myself, I am happy to continue working with the adjustments in place but they have refused to put these in place and have forced hands towards ill health application.

I applied to my pension team, with the support of my employer back in October, and we are still waiting, we have send all documents relating to my health, including the OH report but they are stuck on the balance of probability and the permanent element.

My disability is permanent but its the fine line between me being not able to work in my current role, or in the company or if I would struggle in any form of employment.

Onwards and upwards but reassuring reading this thread that others have been through the same delays.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Shell7656
    Options
    Hi
    Can anyone help me
    Due to ill health I'm being retired early and am not allowed to work
    Can I foster a child ?
    I'd really appreciate some help
    Thankyou
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello there Shell - I really think you will get more answers if you start a new thread - there's a button for that somewhere.  This board will be able to help you about the ill health retirement piece - there's normally some very clear guidance on what is allowed and what not, and that depends on how serious your ill health is.  Fostering is a new one on me though, so good luck with that.  definitely start a new thread though
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family