New Home Insurance while claim is open

Hi,

I have 2 open claims for escape of water from 2017 which are not settled yet due to delay from insurance company. My current cover is from the same insurance company but they are not renewing it any more. I need home insurance by end of Oct. The claim is unlikely to settle by then. How can I get a new home insurance from a new company while I have open claims?

Thanks

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It's probably best to talk to some brokers to see what they can find. But I think your premiums will be eye-wateringly high.

Was a lot of damage done by the escape of water? If it was only a few hundred pounds worth, it might have been cheaper not to claim.
  • Hi,

I have 2 open claims for escape of water from 2017 which are not settled yet due to delay from insurance company. My current cover is from the same insurance company but they are not renewing it any more. I need home insurance by end of Oct. The claim is unlikely to settle by then. How can I get a new home insurance from a new company while I have open claims?

Thanks

Ideally, you would not move insurers whilst this type of claim is ongoing.

If the damage has not been repaired and there is a further loss in the same location, the potential for complications is high.

I think you should focus your efforts on getting this claim settled. If it's been open since 2017, there are some serious problems. Depending on the circumstances, you may need to complain or refer to the Financial Ombudsman Service.
  • Not sure why the claims are still open (just admin issues or is the damage still not adequately repaired) but not all insurers ask if any claims you disclose are still open. If you have no option but to insure elsewhere disclose the claims and see what quotes you can get.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure