Thomas Cook - Claims for Extras

Options
I was flown home yesterday on a repatriation flight, which was uncomfortable but fine. Glad to be home.

Anyway, I know I can't claim back for my cancelled return home flight due to the section 75 rules, but does anyone know if I can claim anything back for the upgraded extras I didn't receive? I had paid to upgrade to premium and paid to add on an extra suitcase.

Would this be an insurance claim or should I just chalk it up to experience and just be glad to be home?

Comments

• bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    snit_girl wrote: »
    I was flown home yesterday on a repatriation flight, which was uncomfortable but fine. Glad to be home.

Anyway, I know I can't claim back for my cancelled return home flight due to the section 75 rules, but does anyone know if I can claim anything back for the upgraded extras I didn't receive? I had paid to upgrade to premium and paid to add on an extra suitcase.

Would this be an insurance claim or should I just chalk it up to experience and just be glad to be home?

YOu wont be able to claim anything. Look at the guidance they gave customers in Los Angeles:

https://thomascook.caa.co.uk/customers/if-you-are-currently-abroad/guidance-by-destination/usa/los-angeles-lax/
    We understand that you may have arranged or paid for extras or upgrades as part of your original booking with Thomas Cook such as a premium seat or particular meal. Unfortunately, as the repatriation programme is focused on getting you back to the UK as efficiently as possible, we cannot commit to honouring these and you will not be able to claim a refund on this cost.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you had a flight only then it was actually a goodwill gesture that you were repatriated without cost. The CAA ATOL bonding system was designed to add security for package holiday makers and it is those who booked a package paying a £2.50 ATOL fee (often costed in) to cover the costs of such a travel company failure. Flight only TC bookings did not pay for this bonding and it could be argued should not have received a free flight home.

Presumably you were not charged extra by the CAA to check-in a bag for the new flight and that it was carried for free. Therefore a bit cheeky to look to claim the TC bag charge.

I think your Premium seat cost is lost. Perhaps one of those times to just think that you and thousands of others have returned to the UK, often in the day planned, at no cost. Good scheme really!
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Was payment for the extras a separate transaction to your payment card? If so, you might be able to make a Section 75 claim.

If it was all bundled together in one transaction amount, I think you're out of luck.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business