Beware State Pension shock when partner dies

Options

Comments

• Sipowicz
    Sipowicz Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have your mates down the pub been winding you up again?
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Muscle750 wrote: »
    Well known undisputed that Public sector pensions are on average worth five times more than the Private sector and its us idiots in the Private sector helping to pay for them.

Once again, your figures are way out. The average Civil Service pension is in the region of £6000 per annum, possibly a bit less.
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,256 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GunJack wrote: »
    Once again, your figures are way out. The average Civil Service pension is in the region of £6000 per annum, possibly a bit less.

But you should never let facts get in the way of the point you are convinced about.

Don't you know that? Muscle does :beer:
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Only a very few public sector workers get big pensions. The last figures I saw were that doctors dominate, making up 72% of those getting more than £50k.

The average is more like £6,000.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DairyQueen wrote: »
    .......... and there is no question that the marginal cost of a second adult in a household is paltry.................

You are joking aren't you!
    I see a marked reduction in expenditure when my wife goes away for as little as a long weekend.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    £6k a year ..........two words .................BS.
  • drumtochty
    Options
    So exactly what is the average civil service pension or did your mates down the pub not know that. Now do not let facts get in the way of your well held grudge.
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £6k a year ..........two words .................BS.

Mrs Muscle's is rather north of that, eh...?
  • hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    The average Civil Service pension in payment is £7,247. Source: 2012 Valuation, page 25.

A meaningless number, given it lumps together those with just a few years of service with those having a lifetime of service. Similarly those who have just retired are in there with 95 year olds with a dependents pension based on their spouse who served for a short period decades ago.

But I'm not sure the figures are reliable - they suggest only about 13% of pensioner members took their pension early, which isn't consistent with the majority retiring at 55. I have to admit to wavering about which stats are accurate - I think if Muscle750 had added "FACT" it would have convinced me, but without that, I'm not so sure... ;) Alternatively, citing reputable sources is quite convincing too when quoting statistics.
  • Lummoxley
    Lummoxley Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    And someones got to fund the nice gold plate pensions that the majority of Public sector workers take at 55. with very little or no loss many infact are better financially better off than if they carry on working

:rotfl: Two words.........BS

If I took early retirement from the LGPS at 55 I'd get £7k per annum after early access reductions, so approx 1/7th my current earnings.

Oh, and that'd be after 20 years service. I won't be able to retire at 55.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure