Beware State Pension shock when partner dies

Options
I phoned the State Pension line to find out what happens if your partner dies under the new State Pension scheme, if you have both qualified for the full amount. I could not believe what I was hearing when I was told that you will get nothing from your partners pension, unless you have made any additional contributions before April 2016, which I am sure the majority of us will not have done, as it would have just been taken directly from your employer. So when a partner passes away you will still have the same household bills, but will only get half the income. This needs to be publicised or a lot of people are in for a big shock.

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    westport wrote: »
    I phoned the State Pension line to find out what happens if your partner dies under the new State Pension scheme, if you have both qualified for the full amount. I could not believe what I was hearing when I was told that you will get nothing from your partners pension, unless ...

You must shock easily. That was the state of play for the old-style pensions too, for decade after decade.

... unless you have made any additional contributions before April 2016, which I am sure the majority of us will not have done, as it would have just been taken directly from your employer.
    I think you've misunderstood this bit, presumably because of your state of shock. Whether additional pension is due will depend on such things as your earning levels, and whether you were in a contracted-out occupational pension.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I phoned the State Pension line to find out what happens if your partner dies under the new State Pension scheme, if you have both qualified for the full amount. I could not believe what I was hearing when I was told that you will get nothing from your partners pension, unless you have made any additional contributions before April 2016, which I am sure the majority of us will not have done, as it would have just been taken directly from your employer. So when a partner passes away you will still have the same household bills, but will only get half the income. This needs to be publicised or a lot of people are in for a big shock.

Seriously? Same household Bills? Not really but then, it is more expensive for a single person living on his/her own but still less than same household Bills for two people.
  • Dorian1958
    Options
    Many widows/widowers will benefit from receiving a proportion (usually 50-60%) of their deceased partner's pension from their employer. Does that apply to you, if so have you checked the rules? If you/they have a DC pot have the wishes been specified in the event of a death?
  • westport
    Options
    If you ask me, the state pension is far too complicated. The woman I spoke to at the so called helpline, was unable to tell me how much 50% of my partners contributions up to 2016 would add up to, there is no pension calculator to work this out, and when you get your list of N.I conts from the Gov website, all it tells you is that you paid for that year. It should clearly show what you would be entitled to for each year if you were to lose your partner. So at the moment it's pot luck when this happens to a couple as no one has a clue what to expect. What a ridiculous system.
    As for the household bills, what I meant was, mortgage/rent, gas, electric, buildings & contents insurance, water bills etc. Your money will soon disappear when there is only one pension coming in nevermind two.
  • TARDIS
    TARDIS Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm sorry it's come as a shock to you, but I thought this was common knowledge.
    I hope you and your partner still have time to plan for this scenario, if not I can see why it would be so much of a shock.
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,799 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 January 2018 at 5:34PM
    Options
    If you ask me, the state pension is far too complicated. The woman I spoke to at the so called helpline, was unable to tell me how much 50% of my partners contributions up to 2016 would add up to, there is no pension calculator to work this out, and when you get your list of N.I conts from the Gov website, all it tells you is that you paid for that year. It should clearly show what you would be entitled to for each year if you were to lose your partner. So at the moment it's pot luck when this happens to a couple as no one has a clue what to expect. What a ridiculous system.
    As for the household bills, what I meant was, mortgage/rent, gas, electric, buildings & contents insurance, water bills etc. Your money will soon disappear when there is only one pension coming in nevermind two.

I know what to expect.
    If my wife predeceases me I will get nothing from her state pension.
    If I predecease her she will get £4.60 a week extra at todays rate, from mine (50% of my protected payment)
    See
    https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/inheriting-or-increasing-state-pension-from-a-spouse-or-civil-partner
  • Stubod
    Stubod Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 29 January 2018 at 5:43PM
    Options
    I think this is fairly common knowledge, (at least among everybody I have spoken to over the last few years).

I think its always been the same? When my dad went a few years ago, (he only got the state pension), my mom did not get anything other than her own (very small, 80 odd quid I think) state pension to live off. However this could be increased but any increase was based on a means test and she had some savings so did not qualify for anything else. More recently my cousin passed away at 62, (ie prior to receiving the SP), and although they paid in all their working life their spouse does not get anything.

.I understood it's how the system works. You pay in all your working life, some benefit by living to 100+, some loose by passing on before they collect anything..
    .."It's everybody's fault but mine...."
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,008 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    noh wrote: »
    I know what to expect.
    If my wife predeceases me I will get nothing from her state pension.
    If I predecease her she will get £4.60 a week extra at todays rate, from mine (50% of my protected payment)
    See
    https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/inheriting-or-increasing-state-pension-from-a-spouse-or-civil-partner

You have to laugh, I was mid 40s in April 2016 and my basic plus additional pension entitlement was pretty much equal to the new state pension, so no protected entitlement for me or my wife and all the NI I pay over the next 20 years will add zero to my pension entitlement :(
    I think....
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,431 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    think its always been the same? When my dad went a few years ago, (he only got the state pension), my mom did not get anything other than her own (very small, 80 odd quid I think) state pension to live off.

If this was pre 2016 changes, then your mother should have been able to use her late spouse's record if this was better than hers in order to increase her state pension.
    This would not have been means tested - however, if she also tried to claim Pension Credit, then her income and savings would have been taken into account.

https://www.savvywoman.co.uk/2012/07/what-happens-to-your-state-pension-when-you-die/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure