Tonik tariffs

Options
vegan
vegan Posts: 3 Newbie
First Anniversary
I am confused by my latest cheap energy club search. Am currently on Tonik Positively Green v8 cheap energy club says I can save £40/year by switching to Tonik Positively Green v12. But when I look at the tariff details shown by cheap energy club for v12 they are identical to what I have on v8. So whats happening?

Comments

• shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    vegan wrote: »
    I am confused by my latest cheap energy club search. Am currently on Tonik Positively Green v8 cheap energy club says I can save £40/year by switching to Tonik Positively Green v12. But when I look at the tariff details shown by cheap energy club for v12 they are identical to what I have on v8. So whats happening?

does version 8 expire by any chance?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

As suggested above, if you are coming off a fixed tariff and moving to another fixed tariff then any savings are to be ignored. Ofgem requires suppliers and websites to use a rolling 12 months cost projection with the supplier's SVT as the default option. So it is possible to switch fixed tariffs with the new one costing more but also showing a saving.

MSE CEC also has the simpler 'you are paying £X/year now" and your new tariffs will cost you '£Ys/year' with the cheapest tariff at the top of the list.

Note MSE CEC cost projections now include shared cash back but not any family and friends discount that is available if you use a link to the supplier's own website.
  • vegan
    vegan Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    edited 12 March 2018 at 12:28PM
    Options
    No have only just switched to Tonik. Got a year to go. My point is that the standing charges, unit energy prices and dual fuel discounts shown for v12 are identical to what I have on v8. So how can cheap energy club calculate a saving?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No have only just switched to Tonik. Got a year to go. My point is that the standing charges, unit energy prices and dual fuel discounts shown for v12 are identical to what I have on v8. So how can cheap energy club calculate a saving?

The Ofgem inflated savings methodology could be one reason. The second reason is that MSE CEC now deducts any shared referral fee from the total annual cost.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure