Transferring balance from vanquis to cap one . Advice needed.

Options
I have a vanquis card with a £1000 limit which im struggling to clear. I pay £70 a month . My interest is usually £30 each month. Its ruining my credit score which isnt great already due to a settled default back in 2014.
I have been offered a 0% balance trans with capital 1 for six months. It has a limit of £750.
What would be the best way to do this? If i transfer £750 over to my new card, then i would be 99% to my limit thus ruining my credit score still.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No you wouldn't. You would have the additional limit from cap one, as wel as the Vanquis limit. That will look better.

Ignore the credit score itself.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    sam791 wrote: »
    I have a vanquis card with a £1000 limit which im struggling to clear. I pay £70 a month . My interest is usually £30 each month. Its ruining my credit score which isnt great already due to a settled default back in 2014.
    I have been offered a 0% balance trans with capital 1 for six months. It has a limit of £750.
    What would be the best way to do this? If i transfer £750 over to my new card, then i would be 99% to my limit thus ruining my credit score still.

Forget about credit scores and concentrate on clearing the balance.

Capital One seems to allow customers to balance transfer the whole of their remaining credit, but do mention this:
    The minimum balance transfer amount is £50. Please leave £100 of available credit after your balance transfer fee has been charged

What's the fee? If I were you I'd balance transfer as much as I could, taking in to account the balance transfer fee (if any) and interest on any balance (if any) I already have on the card.

Some folks here have previously mentioned having problems balance transferring from a Vanquis card.
  • sam791
    sam791 Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's 3% fee. Can Vanquis stop the transfer ?
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    sam791 wrote: »
    It's 3% fee. Can Vanquis stop the transfer ?

Bear the fee in mind when doing a transfer.

There have been a few messages posted here about problems transferring a balance from Vanquis, however most of them were a few years ago.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4608515 from 2013 for example.

A more recent example is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5560912.

Suck it and see.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport