Policy cancellation notice given by insurer

Options
Hi,

Im wondering if anyone can shed some light on this situation. I was away recently and my older brother took out an insurance policy for me. All the details were correct but when he entered the employment info, he clicked on the wrong thing and put me down as a different occupation. I had previous insurance with that company and they realised I have a different job to the one stated and so sent me a cancellation notice of seven days. If i cancel before the seven days myself, does it still go against me? I really dont want to have a cancellation on my record. Thanks

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wouldn't it be simpler just to ring them up, explain what happen, and ask if they will continue the policy with the correct employment info and payment of any additional premium / charges to make the change?
  • Bostan
    Bostan Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Yes, that did cross my mind but i was thinking down the route of if they reject that. I will give that a go first and see what they say.
  • Bostan
    Options
    Also, i was thinking that if they would accept the correction in occupation, would they not have rang me and changed it rather than cancel the policy?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Supposing you had in fact changed your occupation - why would that trigger a cancellation?
    Unless you had changed from bank clerk to high wire stunt artist or mercenary :)
  • paddyandstumpy
    paddyandstumpy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What was the occupation declared as and what is your actual occupation?

Most likely if they would have accepted the corrected info they would have done it.
  • Bostan
    Options
    I think he clicked retired instead of employed
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    It's doubtful the insurer doesn't cover retired people, (if they didn't, then the policy would never have been issued)

So they look to be taking this draconian measure because they take the view that you deliberately tried to get a reduced premium.

So it's got to be worth fighting your cancellation and trying to get it stopped - a cancellation stays on your record for ever

Don't attempt to blame a third party - your brother had no right to take out a policy in your name! Explain it was a mistake done in haste - clicking on retired instead of enployed should have come to your notice pretty quickly when reviewing the application details)
  • paddyandstumpy
    paddyandstumpy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Quentin I think the insurer accepts retired but may not accept his occupation, based on how I'd read the OP?

His brother has a right to take out the policy as long as he has permission from the policyholder.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Quentin I think the insurer accepts retired but may not accept his occupation, based on how I'd read the OP?
    Yes that's how I see it regarding "retired" (see #8) :

Quentin wrote: »
    It's doubtful the insurer doesn't cover retired people, (if they didn't, then the policy would never have been issued).....

But the OP says they previously accepted his (proper) occupation
    .....His brother has a right to take out the policy as long as he has permission from the policyholder.

It appears he didn't let the insurer know this! The insurer look to have been under the impression that the OP took out the policy himself and gave a false occupation.

If a formal arrangement existed that the brother was allowed to take out a policy on behalf of the OP, then that will be a point that can be raised with the insurer
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Call it a lucky guess, but I think the "Brother" obtained a quote on the correct occupation and then on the retired occupation and then took out the retired quote as it was cheaper
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure