Best supermarket mature cheddar cheese

Options
Bacman
Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
I don't like spending more than I have to and cheese is a good example; you can pay anything from about £4.65 to £12 or so per kilo on mature cheddar cheese. I've bought some more expensive ones in the past however they don't have a lot of taste or "punch" to them, i've had cheaper ones and some have it and some not.

Asda own brand is ok, but not a good taste of cheddar cheese in my mouth when I have it, or a cheesy aftertaste. Tickler is good but a bit expensive, Cathedral City I find tasteless. One i'm favouring at the moment is the Sainsburys own mature cheddar (in blue packaging); has nice cheese punchy taste and good aftertaste, and £5 a kilo.

Whilst i'm quite happy with the Sainsbury's cheese, what are other supermarket mature cheddar cheeses like in your view, and how do they compare in price? What is the best one?

Comments

• dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Lidl "Valley Spire" - particularly when on weekend offer
  • tastyhog
    tastyhog Posts: 847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Iceland extra mature is pretty good

I've found the lidl one to be very hit and miss, sometimes it's good, other times it's awful
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,257 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    tastyhog wrote: »
    Iceland extra mature is pretty good

I've found the lidl one to be very hit and miss, sometimes it's good, other times it's awful

Same here, I've returned to the Asda one

W'rose when on offer is nice, but needs to be on offer to make it tempting
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Bacman
    Options
    Iceland mature cheddar is same price as Sainsburys, £5 a kilo. Anyone tried both to know which is better? How do Aldo & Tesco fare?
  • RainbowDrops
    Options
    Valley Spire Extra Mature Cheddar from Lidl is very good, strong flavour & cheap price.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Options
    Aberfoyle extra mature from Lidl (Scotland) is my cheddar of choice when nothing else is on offer, good taste at £4.54/kilo.

I used to get the Valley Spire Vintage until they switched to Aberfoyle here.
  • Bacman
    Options
    So basically there seem a couple of contenders for the best of the ones available; anyone done the "taste test"?
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Options
    Bacman wrote: »
    So basically there seem a couple of contenders for the best of the ones available; anyone done the "taste test"?

Having tried both the Valley Spire and Aberfoyle from Lidl, I'd say they were about the same at the extra mature level and at the same price.
  • Brambleberry
    Options
    I was quite happy with the extra mature cheddar from aldi, but for some reason they only have coloured versions of their cheddars available at the moment. Anyone else noticed this, or is it just here?
    ***Mortgage Free Oct 2018 - Debt Free again (after detour) June 2022***
    Never underestimate the power of a beautiful spreadsheet
  • parcival
    parcival Posts: 949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Waitrose own brand strength 6 but only when on special offer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure