ready made scrambled eggs

Options

Comments

• Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    If someone hasn't got the manual dexterity to scramble eggs then how do they open the packet, and empty it onto a plate, bearing in mind the contents will be extremely hot? And you can scramble eggs just by stirring them around with a spoon or fork at your own pace, something which you should be able to do if you can lift a fork full of scrambled egg to your mouth. I do understand about the difficulties some folks have in chopping, peeling, preparing vegetables, so can appreciate ready prepped veg and ready cooked meals are vital in these cases, but ready scrambled eggs? No, I think the manufacturers are having a laugh here.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Iceland is not the only shop to sell useless stuff I have seen frozen omelettes (sounds revolting to me ) and folk buy ready made custard in tins as well.Perhaps its not really the fault of the shops and manufacturers but the folk who buy this junk.I am pretty old school, and have been feeding and cooking for myself since 1961. I now am at the age when with my lymphedema in my right arm I do find things at time more difficult to do, but I wouldn't dream of buying something as simple as ready made scrambled eggs or a frozen omelette. I have a mini electric mixer which costs about £15.00 which is brilliant and whips up anything small like eggs or grates cheese and does all sorts of things and is very easy to wash up afterwards if my arm is aching.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 21 September 2018 at 1:04PM
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    That’s what dishwashers are for :-)

Don't have a dish washer and hate washing up
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Frozen omelettes and similar dishes originate from the catering industry, where pasteurised egg is used in their preparation as soft-cooked unpasteurised eggs are/were considered a health risk.

In 2009 M&S launched their ready-made jam sandwich.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

In 2009 M&S launched their ready-made jam sandwich.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: that's got to be the ultimate in ready made junk
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    _shel wrote: »
    Don't have a dish washer and hate washing up

Get a dish washer - you’ll love it.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If someone hasn't got the manual dexterity to scramble eggs then how do they open the packet, and empty it onto a plate, bearing in mind the contents will be extremely hot? And you can scramble eggs just by stirring them around with a spoon or fork at your own pace, something which you should be able to do if you can lift a fork full of scrambled egg to your mouth. I do understand about the difficulties some folks have in chopping, peeling, preparing vegetables, so can appreciate ready prepped veg and ready cooked meals are vital in these cases, but ready scrambled eggs? No, I think the manufacturers are having a laugh here.

But that's the bit I couldn't get my head around- because if I were trying to sell something like this, it would be primarily to those who were too disabled to whisk or carry heavier kitchen appliances around, disabilities such as M.E, CFS, even those going through chemotherapy or had arthritis. But the way the article marketed it (unless they've seen sense and edited it!) was at students who apparently didn't know how to cook an egg.
    Seriously? Is that something that really happens? Even despite YouTube?! And hence why any support for this idea vanished as soon as I'd clicked through to see if it was an out of date April 1st article.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Options
    Going back to 1979 on my first trip to America, I remember seeing scrambled eggs in a milk carton type container in a supermarket in California and thought, 'that's a good idea for taking into work for a quick lunch done in the microwave'.

I was only 19 at the time and I have grown older and wiser since then.

Shows that it is not a new idea though, next step on from powdered eggs in the war.
  • Murphybear
    Options
    Surely home made scrambled eggs, omelettes etc (even jam sandwiches :rotfl:) taste much better home made.

Just out of interest there is a multi award winning (including Michelin star) chef who has only one arm. He has written many books but not how to cook with one arm. That might be something really useful
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I have a cousin who is so stupid a "cook" she can't even make a trifle. Literally, no idea, and she's in her late fifties so not even of the young daft generation who go to burger joints. lol

I'm a good cook, I love to cook everything from scratch.

These days though many people consider junk "food" as actual "food"; have no ability, so yes, pre-made scrambled eggs seems rather pathetic to us, however just as pathetic if not more so, i've seen pre-boiled and shelled eggs sold in a plastic containers in Asda. I was in front of someone who bought one, I pointed to the item and said to him "What, really? If you can't use a hob to boil an egg why not use a kettle?" and he just said "Yeah, I know; i'm lazy". Lazy and with money to burn, IMO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure