ready made scrambled eggs

Options
have the nations cooking skills really devolved so much ?

https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/20/iceland-is-selling-ready-made-scrambled-eggs-in-microwaveable-pouches-7962298/

£1.50 for a single serving - who buys these things :huh: ?

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A fool and his money are soon parted...
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hard to see how this fits in with Iceland's promise to eliminate plastic on all own-brand products.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jan/15/iceland-vows-to-eliminate-plastic-on-all-own-branded-products
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    quite bizarre when eggs already come in their own containers i.e. shells
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • DEV1L
    DEV1L Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Wow £1.50 for maybe 2 eggs if your lucky. Iceland should hang their head in shame.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    DEV1L wrote: »
    Wow £1.50 for maybe 2 eggs if your lucky. Iceland should hang their head in shame.

according to the article there are 4 eggs in packet. We buy eggs from local farms, usually £1 for 6 and you can scramble them easily in the microwave.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    I think there are people who do not like washing up and food that can be cooked in its packaging which is then thrown away avoids it.
    I had a conversation with a friend yesterday walking to the shop to buy white sauce for lasagna. I remarked that making the sauce is quicker than the walk to the shop and back to be told that there is no washing up. So no washing up is more important than either cost or taste!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Before we all scoff don't forget for some, with say arthritis or maybe disabled in some way, cracking & whisking eggs is not easy, and maybe impossible, same applies to ready chopped onions etc

"Prepared foods such as scrambled eggs can be incredibly helpful to those with disabilities. A wrist injury may make the whisking motion of scrambled eggs difficult, while those with chronic fatigue can struggle to make what many think of as ‘simple’ meals without being overtaken by exhaustion."

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/20/iceland-is-selling-ready-made-scrambled-eggs-in-microwaveable-pouches-7962298/?ito=cbshare
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought they'd try to justify this by playing on the elderly or disabled card- people who have lost the ability to cook everything they want and so have limited choice- I can see why this would be really helpful (whisking things like eggs isn't so easy if you only hand one working arm or have limited motor skills or your child is your carer and too young to cook eggs for example.

But to play on the student card? Because student's don't know how to cook scrambled eggs so they are forever lost and now must spend 5 times the amount by buying it ready made... that arguement is so pathetic it goes beyond words...
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    maisie_cat wrote: »
    I think there are people who do not like washing up and food that can be cooked in its packaging which is then thrown away avoids it.
    I had a conversation with a friend yesterday walking to the shop to buy white sauce for lasagna. I remarked that making the sauce is quicker than the walk to the shop and back to be told that there is no washing up. So no washing up is more important than either cost or taste!

That’s what dishwashers are for :-)
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    DEV1L wrote: »

No. People who would buy this product should hang their heads in shame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure