Incorrect data on Noddle credit file

Options
Hi all

Hope you can help.

Last last night I joined up with Noddle to get a copy of my credit file and I was gobsmacked when i went on it showed a whole lot of incorrect data.

It said i was also my sister, and was financially linked to my brother in law and linked me to addresses i have no link to (have never lived there or have any financial links with anyone who lives there!!!).

Additionally and more worryingly so it showed me details of all her credit accounts, including mortgages and credit cards. Really personal information. I can see how munch she has paid each month, balances and credit limits etc... she knows this as i rang and told her to check too, however she couldn't be verified by Noddle. She checked her file through Equifax and worryingly she's not linked to her husband on there even though they have a joint mortgage!!

In addition it somehow also seems to have linked me to my other sister (I have three!) so there are searches done on my account by HSBC that i have not authorised from when she has applied for a credit card whilst living at my parents (an address i have never lived at nor do i have financial links with!). The worrying thing is it shows they've done a search on her and then they've done a search on me... stating sole applicant on the same date!!!

I have already raised a dispute on these things almost 30 in total. I am extremely worried though, I know these things can get sorted but I should not be able to see someone else's personal data. I need to know how our financial details have got linked. Surely it is not acceptable to let someone else see personal financial data???

My sister is obviously fuming... does anyone know where we stand from a legal point of view... does this break data protection or something??? How do we find out exactly how this has happened.

Co-incidently i checked my credit file about two years ago just before applying for a mortgage which was through Experian and that was all fine.

Will be thankful for any help and advice.:)

Thank you
Mindy

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Errors like this do sometimes happen, where some lender or debt collector has in error linked you to each other, assumed that 1 name is the alias for another person.

As you have raised it with the credit reference agency then they should now be fairly able to sort it out. Once you are not assumed to be an alias of each other then all the other data will disappear.

I would check your files with experian and equifax as well as you may need to do the same with them.

Unless you can find the cause of the confusion - which creditor or debt collector first confused the 2 of you then it would be hard to take it any further. The credit reference agency themselves won't have linked you, they only report data that others provide to them.

I know where siblings have been twins it can take a bit longer to sort, assuming you are not it should be easy for the credit ref agency to split your data by your date of births.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tixy wrote: »
    Unless you can find the cause of the confusion - which creditor or debt collector first confused the 2 of you then it would be hard to take it any further. The credit reference agency themselves won't have linked you, they only report data that others provide to them.

But they should be able to say which lender submitted data creating the link. The whole purpose of the £2 statutory report was to enable you to see who's submitted any data which is used to assess your creditworthiness.
    If this piece of data data isn't covered by the laws surrounding what CRAs must provide (although I can't see why it should be excluded), a subject access request under the DPA would yield it (but will cost £10).
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • udydudy
    udydudy Posts: 559 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thenudeone wrote: »
    But they should be able to say which lender submitted data creating the link. The whole purpose of the £2 statutory report was to enable you to see who's submitted any data which is used to assess your creditworthiness.
    If this piece of data data isn't covered by the laws surrounding what CRAs must provide (although I can't see why it should be excluded), a subject access request under the DPA would yield it (but will cost £10).

My Noddle report clearly states under section 5: Connections and Other Names. Under this heading it gives my connection with my OH and also states under column "Source"-- the lending institutions name and under column "Date confirmed" -- the date it was reported to CRA and under "the date last confirmed" -- the date it might have been reconfirmed due to any review of the product.
    :beer::beer::beer:
  • Hazzinho
    Hazzinho Posts: 742 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have similar names or the same first initial? Are you twins?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    my noddle report contained an error i updated it online and they confirmed in writing 5 days later that they would ammend it,and they did
  • Mindyana
    Mindyana Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Hazzinho wrote: »
    Do you have similar names or the same first initial? Are you twins?

We have similar names however completely different dates of birth... there is 14 years between me and my little sister! My other sister and I have different surnames as she is married.
  • Mindyana
    Options
    udydudy wrote: »
    My Noddle report clearly states under section 5: Connections and Other Names. Under this heading it gives my connection with my OH and also states under column "Source"-- the lending institutions name and under column "Date confirmed" -- the date it was reported to CRA and under "the date last confirmed" -- the date it might have been reconfirmed due to any review of the product.

So the connections and other names data is likely to be how they have mislinked my sisters account with mine??? That shows Co-Operative bank back in 2009.

I am going to try get a copy of my reports from Equifax and Experian too to say what they are holding.

I am worried had i not looked at this report and i'd applied for credit I could have been rejected... it shows i have two mortgages and three credit cards!!! I only have one of each!

I had a pretty bad credit history whilst at university and worked really hard to clear all my debt and be in the position i am in now. I don't want this to mess everything up!
  • Mindyana
    Options
    I have checked my data with Equifax and Experian and they seem fine. So it's just the data held by Noddle! I am confused why it is so different???
  • Hazzinho
    Hazzinho Posts: 742 Forumite
    Options
    I would say the similar names have done it, all it takes is one account to mix files up, is one on there without a DOB? A friend of mine had his file mixed with his dad as they share the same name. All the agencies files can vary which is why it's best to get the £2 reports a few months before you apply for credit to check it's ok and to fix any issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure