BT rep maybe? Who is 08005875290 ?

Options
As the title. Who are 0800 587 5290 ??

Had several calls at all hours. Answerphone got it 1st message about calling an 0844 number and going to bt.com/smstext to disable text services.

I have been on the TPS for a long time and also disabled my SMS service on my line.
I double checked and called the automated BT number and it says SMS messages are disabled on this number. So its active

As i googled the number the phone rang with an indian guy who didnt have a clue why he phoned me.
Asked him who he was calling who did he want to speak to and he err'd and tried to think of a name. H....eerrr...

Bought some new phones that block withheld and unknown numbers as well as international.
So hopefully thats a load of the spam/scam calls stopped dead.

Can the BT rep confirm is this is a BT number? And for some reason its bypassing my SMS block.
Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

Comments

• OldGreyFox
    OldGreyFox Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    edited 18 September 2013 at 5:12AM
    Options
    Thats one of the BT Text Delivery Numbers if you call it its a free call it will confirm that.
    Google the number and your see a fair few comments about it.

Normally to stop it .

From your landline, dial another BT Freephone Number 0800 587 5252
    Select Option 1, then Option 5 to disable all messages.
    Your request should be activated within 30 minutes.
  • BT_company_representative
    BT_company_representative Posts: 1,861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi forgotmyname

Strange one! The number seems legit but I am not sure why the calls are coming through to you all of a sudden. I think we'll need to have a closer look at this.

Could you email me using the link in my profile please?

Cheers

Craig
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Hi forgotmyname

Strange one! The number seems legit but I am not sure why the calls are coming through to you all of a sudden. I think we'll need to have a closer look at this.

Could you email me using the link in my profile please?

Cheers

Craig

If you google 0800 587 5290 your see it happens fairly frequently.
  • forgotmyname
    Options
    OldGreyFox wrote: »
    Thats one of the BT Text Delivery Numbers if you call it its a free call it will confirm that.
    Google the number and your see a fair few comments about it.

Normally to stop it .

From your landline, dial another BT Freephone Number 0800 587 5252
    Select Option 1, then Option 5 to disable all messages.
    Your request should be activated within 30 minutes.

Done that years ago, When i dial the number again. It says SMS text service is disabled on this number.

• forgotmyname
    Options
    BT Rep (Craig) Form sent. Thanks.

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And again. Number appeared on my missed call list. In addition to the BT6510 phones i have a dedicated call blocker now also. So that is specifically added to the blocked list.

They get one ring and it cuts them off. Its funny to see the string of numbers they try and use. International, Bangladeshi numbers and unknown/withheld.
    Many tries within minutes of the 1st one.

very strange...

Who has links with nuisance calls from Bangladesh?

BT? Lowells debt recovery? Who suddenly says i owe them money on a debt settled 8 years ago.

• freebird65
    freebird65 Posts: 1,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a call from this number 10 mins ago - on a Sunday morning! It told me I had a text from 08435 437 397 (I think) and to press 1 to listen - I didn't but am slightly curious who rings at 8am on a Sunday as I'm also subscribed to TPS etc.
  • st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I didn't

Why?

It doesn't cost anything.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OMG! Someone has sent a text at 8am on a Sunday morning. Forget Ebola, forget ISIS, forget Milliband we are all doomed, doomed I tell you. The end of the world is nigh.
  • Daveswife
    Options
    2:20 am this morning!!! !!!!!!??? Call from 08005875290. Not good BT :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Blessed are the vegetarians.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport