Unsolicited Goods from China

Options
Hi, in sept I received 7 pairs of socks from China that I hadn’t ordered. My credit card statement arrived the same day, showing 8 transactions from China at approx £35 per pair. I contacted bank credit card fraud to tell them, and was asked to return socks to China and send bank a scan of post office receipt when done. To date, only one pair of socks has been refunded. Bank did not cancel my card despite my asking if it was safe to use but was told to keep eye on it and report any other strange items.

Short story, item appeared a week ago for perfume in Singapore, phoned bank again, they agreed to cancel card and add this to list of disputes. New card arrived.

Today, received a package with 3 pairs of fake raybans again from China that I hadn’t ordered, but so far haven’t been charged (maybe overlap with new card?). Phoned bank again to advise so they are keeping eye on my account.

I’ve heard of Chinese companies sending out small items to build their reputations - “brushing” but I’ve not heard of anyone actually receiving goods and being charged for them like I have been. Has this happened to anyone else? Bank hadn’t heard of this happening either.

Please watch out for “brushing” as people seem to think you just get goods for free but that’s not what has happened to me. I’m out of pocket over £200 to date.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Somebody knows your name/address and your card details and gets stuff delivered to your address. Inside job?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Inside job?

Or somebody with a grudge against you.
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If I had a grudge it wouldn't be socks coming through the letterbox lol
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So we are looking for a person who wants some socks, some perfume and some fake raybans.
  • Hi, in sept I received 7 pairs of socks from China that I hadn’t ordered. My credit card statement arrived the same day, showing 8 transactions from China at approx £35 per pair. I contacted bank credit card fraud to tell them, and was asked to return socks to China and send bank a scan of post office receipt when done. To date, only one pair of socks has been refunded. Bank did not cancel my card despite my asking if it was safe to use but was told to keep eye on it and report any other strange items.

Short story, item appeared a week ago for perfume in Singapore, phoned bank again, they agreed to cancel card and add this to list of disputes. New card arrived.

Today, received a package with 3 pairs of fake raybans again from China that I hadn’t ordered, but so far haven’t been charged (maybe overlap with new card?). Phoned bank again to advise so they are keeping eye on my account.

I’ve heard of Chinese companies sending out small items to build their reputations - “brushing” but I’ve not heard of anyone actually receiving goods and being charged for them like I have been. Has this happened to anyone else? Bank hadn’t heard of this happening either.

Please watch out for “brushing” as people seem to think you just get goods for free but that’s not what has happened to me. I’m out of pocket over £200 to date.
    You never know.

Now my bank keeps a watch on my account, and texts me if anything untoward happens. I tried to pay for my holiday on Friday, and the were quick on the mark. Does you bank do this?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure