Insulated Plasterboard fixings.

Options
I have had 35mm insulated Plasterboard dot and dabbed to 100mm thermalite block.
I have to fix a 25kg radiator to the wall. The brackets are 4 single brackets around 40mm square. I have bought these fixings

Sorry but can't post links but they are 120mm x 8mm frame fixings. Will try and post a pic later.

This would give me around 80mm in the thermalite block and 40mm in the insulated Plasterboard which wouldn't give me any support for downward force.

Would these be substantial or would the brackets pull into the Plasterboard ?
Cheers

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think you can only try it and see if it works. Be careful tightening up the screws so that you don't compress the plasterboard. Try to get the fxings as far apart as you can, and put one in every screw hole.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 14 December 2018 at 11:42AM
    Options
    It's more than enough. If its hammer fixings (also known as frame fixings) I would just use the sleeve as a rawl plug rather than the way they are intended so the bracket is between the screw and the sleeve.

I install a lot of radiators so for future use in plasterboard you can use these https://www.screwfix.com/p/gripit-blue-plasterboard-fixings-25-x-14mm-8-pack/7518j
    or these https://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-self-drill-plasterboard-fixings-metal-35mm-100-pack/47347

The grip it are the best for heavier weight.
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Use the fixings suggested abound and you will have a poorly fitted radiator, the style of rad you have with 4 single brackets needs a good stable fix.you will probably damage the plasterboard face too

Google rigifix m6, it’s what we would use in any dot and dabbed situations. A fixing made and designed for this very issue
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You should also look at https://www.corefixed.com/ for suitable fixings; specifically designed for dot & dab plasterboard.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    You should also look at https://www.corefixed.com/ for suitable fixings; specifically designed for dot & dab plasterboard.

Exactly the same as a rigifix anchor . It places the load into the solid masonry rather than relying on the soft plasterboard
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I admit I didn't lookup the rigifix anchors, but having now looked them up, they are a bit different in design to the corefix anchors, but they do basically work in the same way. Nice to have an alternative to compare prices against.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Hilts100
    Options
    Went with Rigifix. Superb option and radiator is rock solid.
    Thanks for the advice 👍
  • Joe1981
    Joe1981 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    You could always cut some copper pipe say 50mm long and hammer in before drilling the fixing to stop the bracket pulling into the plasterboard
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure