Opening an account for a vulnerable person with CIFAS Marker

Options
Hi there,

A bit of background, I am a support worker for a women's DV/SV organisation. I am current working with a young person who has been a victim of several grooming gangs and within that abuse this person's bank account (HSBC) was used for money laundering by the perpetrators and the account was closed down.

We are in the process of trying to set up a new account. So far Santandar and Nationwide have rejected the application and they are in desperate need of a bank account so they can receive benefits and financial support. I am assuming that this person has a CIFAS marker attached to them hence not being able to open an account anywhere.

So, some questions,

1. IN the short term, are they any bank accounts that people in a similar situation (CIFAS MARKER) have been successful in opening an account with?

2. Long-term, is there a process we can go through to have the CIFAS marker removed?

Thank you!

Comments

• 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    You could try applying for a prepaid bank account

in terms of getting the Marker removed you will need to apply to the court. To do this first ask cfias to tell you who put the marker on and then contact that organisation and ask them to remove it because the person is vulnerable

if they refuse then apply to the court for it to be removed I believe this is a matter of filling in a form
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,490 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am assuming that this person has a CIFAS marker attached to them

Check the exact situation.

Have you and the young person actually made an appointment to see a senior person at the bank to discuss the situation?

Do you have a Co-op Bank nearby? If so, perhaps the Cashminder account might be a possibility?
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ensure the application is for a "basic" bank account, with no overdraft required. The mainstream ones (with perks) are likely to be credit scored.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • Mr.Saver
    Mr.Saver Posts: 521 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Since she has been declined a Nationwide current account, she should be eligible for a Nationwide FlexBasic account
    FlexBasic is only for those who’ve been made bankrupt or who aren’t eligible for any of our other current accounts.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mr.Saver wrote: »
    Since she has been declined a Nationwide current account, she should be eligible for a Nationwide FlexBasic account

It would depend on the reason for the decline if there is a CIFAS marker I doubt Nationwide will consider any accounts I'm afraid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure