HELP - PPI fee's for money offset against debts

Options
2»

Comments

• PSW
    PSW Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    As the debt is so old I would look into seeing if you can find out if Tesco sold on your debt at some point. It's a very small chance, however if they did sell on your debt to a collection agency and there wasn't an agreement that future claims could be used by themselves they really should be sending you any PPI refunds.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    PSW wrote: »
    As the debt is so old I would look into seeing if you can find out if Tesco sold on your debt at some point.
    Obviously this won't be the case if the Bank have already said they are offsetting. Such research of the debt history would therefore be utterly futile.
    if they did sell on your debt to a collection agency and there wasn't an agreement that future claims could be used by themselves they really should be sending you any PPI refunds.
    Why would the Bank sell on the debt without such an agreement and now be informing the OP that they are offsetting the debt against the redress?

The OP needs to be concentrating on her new debt to the Claims Company, not chasing unlikely hypothetical scenarios...
  • PSW
    Options
    So are you saying this "unlikely hypothetical scenario" has never happened?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    So are you saying this "unlikely hypothetical scenario" has never happened?
    Are you saying it has? If so, please provide examples..
  • PSW
    Options
    I find it a waste of everybody's time getting into the "answering a question with a question". Yes I have seen similar occasions on other forums and on the FOS website. I will grant you it is rare however, as I stated " it's a very small chance" so I feel it would be worth an hour or two of the OP time checking it out whilst concentrating on her new debt.

How many time have we seen on this very forum people are told not to bother, don't waste your time and yet they still manage to make a successful complaint? Enough times for me to think its worth a punt.

Maybe its just me who has faith the OP is able to do more than one thing at a time.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    as I stated " it's a very small chance" so I feel it would be worth an hour or two of the OP time checking it out whilst concentrating on her new debt.
    I'd like to know how the OP is going to find out if her old debt has ever been sold on to a Debt Collection company and, in addition, whether there was any agreement for future offset of PPI complaints?

I stand by my original assertion that your suggestion is a very unlikely hypothetical scenario.

Just a short time ago you had never heard of such off setting:
    Learn something new everyday, I wonder how widespread this is? (I'm guessing not very)

I had read somewhere that some lenders were trying to buy back previously sold debts so that they could offset ppi refunds
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72588539
  • PSW
    Options
    To start, I would search any old paper work to see if the OP can find notification of the debt being sold.

I'm not sure what relevance or point you are trying to make
    Just a short time ago you had never heard of such off setting:

I notice you avoided answering my question again, not to worry though.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I notice you avoided answering my question again, not to worry though.
    There have indeed been several instances were a poster with an apparently weak complaint has returned to report success. However, no one on the forum can comment on anything other than the information provided in posts. Complaint handlers have access to a much fuller picture and complaints can be upheld for entirely different reasons to those provided by the complainant.

As to your suggestion that the OP should search old paperwork, I think it's clear from the OP not even being aware of the debt that such paperwork is not in her possession.
    Regardless, a notification letter that the debt was to be sold on will not reveal details of any PPI clawback terms.

The Bank have already informed the OP that the redress will be offset against the outstanding debt. The Op needs to focus on the new debt with the Claims Company.
    I'm not sure what relevance or point you are trying to make
    I think the inference was pretty clear. :)
  • duffs54
    duffs54 Posts: 131 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Sounds like a nightmare, I'm so sorry you have ended up with having to pay them money, hopefully they will be sympathetic and an arrangement can be made, good luck x
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,561 Forumite
    Options
    No, they won't be sympathetic at all.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure