Is it bad to ask when my first pay day will be?

Options
I need to know when my first pay day will be so I can tell my landlord and sort out my rent. But I haven't started my job yet but I am worried about not being able to pay rent so is it bad to ask or when I should ask?

Comments

• FredG
    FredG Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options
    Perfectly reasonable to ask, your employer should be aware you're reliant on a wage to pay bills, rent etc.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Be warned that it's perfectly possible that your first pay day could be 6 weeks away (in some circumstances even longer) so you might need to have a plan in place for how you'll budget until you do get paid.
  • engineer_amy
    engineer_amy Posts: 803 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Also important to ask when the cut off dates are. Nothing worse than expecting a full months wage and only getting half because they pay from the 15th of july to 14th of August, and you started on 1st of August
    Mortgage = [STRIKE]£113,495 (May 2009)[/STRIKE] £67462.74 Jun 2019
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    nemq wrote: »
    Is it bad to ask when my first pay day will be? Reply to Thread

It's bad that you need to ask. You should have been told. So absolutely nothing wrong with you seeking confirmation.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ask before first day. As someone else has pointed out it could be very likely to have up to a 6 week wait if monthly paid. It really does happen and I've known a few employers disguise it say paperwork waiting for you first day but that is far from the ideal time to be finding out, (if you know you can least afford it).

If they react badly or won't discuss pay day in advance then that is very telling surely.
  • WobblyDog
    WobblyDog Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ask before first day. As someone else has pointed out it could be very likely to have up to a 6 week wait if monthly paid. It really does happen and I've known a few employers disguise it say paperwork waiting for you first day but that is far from the ideal time to be finding out, (if you know you can least afford it).

If they react badly or won't discuss pay day in advance then that is very telling surely.

At the other end of the spectrum, one of my previous employers actively offered an advance on salary to new joiners, to help them over the first few weeks. I guess that's fairly rare though.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    It's bad that you need to ask. You should have been told. So absolutely nothing wrong with you seeking confirmation.

I have never been told. Or asked. Nothing wrong with asking though, if you need to know.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    Yesterday after a meeting i really wanted to ask someone what day it was because i really didnt have a clue, i settled on Wednesday.

I didnt ask because i had a gut feeling that id look like an idiot if i asked.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's usually stated in your contract, and if that date falls on a weekend, whether it's "on or before", or "on or after". However, there will also be a cut off date for payroll, so if you start after the payroll cut off date, they won't be able to process you for that month. It'll be made up the following month, but that won't be much help this month.
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    When do you start? I understand the feeling as it was a question I wanted to ask (just starting) although not in the same situation as you. My contract is in the post so it might say on there anyway, but you could always just ask another staff member once you start.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure