Tax treatment on dividends

Options
First time I have had to put investment dididends on my tax return so a little unsure:
  1. Dividend from Fundsmith includes "Income distribution" + "Equalisation" = "Total Income distribution", which of these do I include on my tax return calculation as Net dividend income received?
  2. I am correct in thinking that Dividend Income Distribution is net and therefore:
    Tax = Net / 90 * 10
    Gross = Net / 90 * 100
Thanks,

Comments

• Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    What tax is being deducted?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    https://www.willisowen.co.uk/help/equalisation-explained.php

I had a look at the above.

It indicates that the dividend portion is income (and therefore taxable as income) but the "equalisation" is a return of capital?

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/capital-gains-manual/cg57705

The purchaser’s dividend voucher at the end of the first distribution period should show the amount of the returned equalisation payment. This payment is not income. It should not be treated as a capital distribution,

See also Equalisation explained here

https://www.oldmutualwealth.co.uk/globalassets/documents/literature-library/platform/collective-retirement-account/omw_pdf6600_a_guide_to_your_tax_voucher.pdf
  • RomfordNavy
    RomfordNavy Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What tax is being deducted?
    I thought for tax calculations that a notional rate of 10% is assumed to have been deducted.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Not after 5 April 2016.

There is however a 0% tax rate for the first £2,000 of dividend income.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is however a 0% tax rate for the first £2,000 of dividend income.

Also covered in OM link above.
  • londoninvestor
    londoninvestor Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    [*]Dividend from Fundsmith includes "Income distribution" + "Equalisation" = "Total Income distribution", which of these do I include on my tax return calculation as Net dividend income received?

The "Income Distribution" is what you report as dividend income received.

You'll need to keep a note of the Equalisation and *deduct* that from your cost basis for Capital Gains Tax purposes.

So while the Equalisation isn't taxed as income, when you eventually come to sell it increases your taxable capital gain.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    First time I have had to put investment dididends on my tax return so a little unsure:
    1. Dividend from Fundsmith includes "Income distribution" + "Equalisation" = "Total Income distribution", which of these do I include on my tax return calculation as Net dividend income received?
    2. I am correct in thinking that Dividend Income Distribution is net and therefore:
      Tax = Net / 90 * 10
      Gross = Net / 90 * 100
    Thanks,

1)
    Only the income distribution part of the total cash received is taxable income.

The 'equalisation' bit relates to the fact that part of your holding was not owned for the full period since the last dividend point, and so although they are giving you the same cash per share as they give to every other shareholder, some of the cash you'll receive is income that had already been earned by the fund before you even owned the shares in it. As a result (due to the fact that part of the price you paid to buy your new shares was buying the cash dividends that the fund has already earned from its underlying portfolio companies), when it gets to dividend payout date and they send £x cash per share to every shareholder, your cash receipt is not taxable income. The equalisation bit is theoretically just a return of a piece of your purchase price.

The way to look at it is: that equalisation money they give to you is really just giving you back some of the cash that you had originally paid to buy your share.

So, the bit they describe on the tax voucher or consolidated income statement as "equalisation" instead of income, should not be declared by you as taxable income. That bit is instead just a return of part of your cost you had originally paid for the investment. As such, you would take it off the cost of investment when you ultimately calculate any capital gain or loss on selling your investment, but you wouldn't describe it as dividends in your tax return, because it's not income at all. Just a cash payment returning some of your capital.

2)
    Any UK dividend income you receive is not, these days, presumed to be net of a 10% tax credit. Instead the whole amount received (the bit described as "Income distribution" and not "equalisation" in your statement) is wholly taxable. You do not need a special tax credit on it as they already give you a £2000 allowance to receive dividends at 0% tax, and only charge you 7.5% thereafter if your income is within the basic rate band.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The treatment of equalisation and income distribution differ depending on whether you hold Acc units or Inc units:

ACC Units:
    Equalisation - Ignore
    Income distribution - Add to cost for CGT purposes and add to income for Income Tax purposes.

INC Units:
    Equalisation - Deduct from cost for CGT purposes.
    Income distribution - Add to income for Income Tax purposes.
  • Johnnyboy11
    Johnnyboy11 Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 January 2020 at 9:50AM
    Options
    A related query if I may...?

In the case of Fundsmith (Acc) Units, is it reasonable to include Dividends declared but not yet paid at the date of sale (or date of partial sale of a holding) in the CGT calc.?
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 January 2020 at 9:50AM
    Options
    A related query if I may...?
    If you sell Fundsmith shares in the middle of the tax year, how do you calculate the correct Dividend figure to use for your CGT calculation:
    1. Those actually paid at the date of sale, or
    2. Those actually paid plus those declared (Ex. Div.) but not yet paid at the date of sale, or
    3. Those actually paid up to and including the tax year of sale?
    Or is there some other calculation and/or guidance available?
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Dividends are subject to income tax not CGT. You take the dividend actually paid during the tax year so, for example, you could sell a fund/share which has gone ex-div in 2019/20 but not receive a dividend until 2020/21.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family