Moving an iTunes library to another computer ... how?

Options
So on the PC (Windows) upstairs there are 2 physical hard drives. I know you can split one OS install off to various users but my wife has all her stuff on one drive and i have all my stuff on another - all in the same PC connected to the same hardware.

So all her apps are in whatever folder they're in on her hard drive, same for my apps on mine. All the settings, so on & so forth.

Restoring the iPhone from a backup never works on the PC though, always errors out & always has to be done on the laptop. Made me wonder about just using the laptop.

How would i move ALL my apps, ALL my wife's apps, whatever settings we have in place over to the laptop?

In addition to that - how do some apps not overwrite themselves (for example - she has a newer Facebook version than I do but i don't like the newer look so stick with my old Facebook version - it's still the Facebook app so i wouldn't want one version to overwrite another). Not to forget that the apps are tied to the Apple account that paid for/downloaded them. I know you can use another persons download on your phone but you have to mess about with passwords etc.

Just wondering how we can have the setup we currently have ... but on the laptop - with all the apps there in the appropriate folder too.

Comments

• 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I've found the following on Apple's support pages which may be of use to you OP:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201625

From memory I think previous app versions are moved to the recycling bin when you update to a newer one using backup/sync over USB; so, by rights, when you make the move to your laptop that would be a place to look.

As for purchases linked to your respective Apple IDS you'd only be impacted by Family Sharing or if you both use the same account on your phones.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A while ago, I came to the conclusion that trying to move an iTunes library wasn't worth the hassle, and I started a system whereby I don't import CDs directly into iTunes.

I rip the CD with EAC or something similar, into mp3 format, and keep all the mp3s in a dedicated folder. To add these mp3s to iTunes, I use the "Add folder to library" option. This creates a link to the mp3s from iTunes, without actually copying them into the iTunes library folder. iTunes works as normal, there's no difference in functionality. The only caveat is that you need to leave the mp3s in the same place, unaltered, or iTunes loses track of where they are. Don't move them around once you've added them

The advantage comes if and when I need to reload the library or move to a different machine.

All I do is download a new, empty iTunes to the new machine, copy the mp3 folder to it, and click on "Add folder to library" for the whole folder. Library reloaded.

Also, the mp3s are readily available for copy to other non-Apple devices, USB sticks, mp3 CDs, etc.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    I'm genuinely not sure if i've misunderstood you guys or if you've misunderstood me.

I have all my app files. I don't need to search for them because i know where they are. I only ever update through iTunes (which is why i don't update iTunes to the latest irritating version). When i update each app i then remove it from the Recycle Bin to a separate "iPhone app" folder where i keep old versions of apps (just in case the new version is crap! Like when i updated Snapchat and found the newest version was terrible - so i could then revert back to the old version no problem).

The 'current' versions are in the iTunes library folder that they should be in.

This (^^^^) is how it is run on my hard drive and the wife's hard drive on the same PC (2 different physical hard drives remember).

It also has nothing to do with CDs or music at all really. I'm pretty much only asking about apps and iPhone backup files.
  • googler
    Options
    I'm genuinely not sure if i've misunderstood you guys or if you've misunderstood me.
    It also has nothing to do with CDs or music at all really. I'm pretty much only asking about apps and iPhone backup files.

OK.

I (sort of) assumed you were talking about a Music library, because that's what most iTunes users will use it for. It's certainly all that I use it for.

Rewind the tape and erase.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    I use it here and there for music. Not too much to be honest. Mainly I use for backup of my device and updating apps.

I updated an app over the air once and got stung. Lesson learned. I've never done it since.
  • googler
    Options
    I use it here and there for music. Not too much to be honest. Mainly I use for backup of my device and updating apps.

I updated an app over the air once and got stung. Lesson learned. I've never done it since.

A reason to switch to Android ... ?

:D
  • sebastianshaw
    Options
    Thanks guys, you've been incredibly helpful!
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks guys, you've been incredibly helpful!

'Post Pumper'.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    googler wrote: »
    A reason to switch to Android ... ?

:D
    Certainly.

I've been an iPhone user since 2010 when i made the switch from what was probably a Sony Ericsson at the time. C902 rings a bell.

But i've really had enough of iTunes. Forcing us to update apps OTA was the last straw for me.

I may stay with an iPhone for the next however many years. I'll keep it until the phone dies but when it does i'll very likely be moving to an Android of some description.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure