Getting block paving done - how much to pay?

Options
My wife and I have been looking to get some block paving done, we've been talking about it for months and now that it's starting to get nice and warm we thought now would be the time to go ahead with the work.

I'm getting very varied pricing, I've looked at a few websites, we looked on this website homeguides.co.uk/block-paving which gave estimates - we also went to the ideal home show (which was a ton of help!)

We have roughly 6-8 square meters we'd like done - we're getting quoted around £2000-£3500 - does this sound about right? We'd also like one small wall put up too, we've been quoted an additional £200 on top (as we're already getting the driveway done).

We are in London so I guess this does have bearing on the price too..

Thank you.

Comments

• Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you can afford it use clay rather then the concrete blocks which fade after a few years.
  • fezster
    fezster Posts: 485 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This site has everything you ever wanted to know about block paving: http://www.pavingexpert.com/

It's a LOT of reading, but will give you all of the relevant information. You should be looking at around £70-£80 per sqm, although for such a small area, it may cost a bit more. Are you sure it's only 6-8 sqm - that doesnt sound like a lot?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    fezster wrote: »
    This site has everything you ever wanted to know about block paving: http://www.pavingexpert.com/

It's a LOT of reading, but will give you all of the relevant information. You should be looking at around £70-£80 per sqm, although for such a small area, it may cost a bit more. Are you sure it's only 6-8 sqm - that doesnt sound like a lot?
    A square/rectangle with sides of 6-8 metres, perhaps?
  • StarSky
    StarSky Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Tom99 wrote: »
    If you can afford it use clay rather then the concrete blocks which fade after a few years.

thank you - we also read this too!

Regarding paving expert - yes, that is a brilliant site, we have spent the bank holiday weekend doing some reading.

Roughly 6-8KM it's a rectangle driveyway in front of the house.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    StarSky wrote: »

Regarding paving expert - yes, that is a brilliant site, we have spent the bank holiday weekend doing some reading.

Kilometres now? Wow. Snap their hands off. ;)
  • fezster
    fezster Posts: 485 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    StarSky wrote: »

At 6m x 6m (36m2), £3k is about right.
    At 8m x 8m (64m2), it should be closer to £5k.

The most important thing is to ensure the sub base is done correctly. 150mm / 6 inches of type 1 mot compacted properly, for a residential driveway. Otherwise you will find it begins to sink after a very short time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure